Photo

Is it safe to go off resort in Dominican Republic? Photo Souvenier Photography

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 fmichelle

fmichelle
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

This is kind of off topic, but figured since this was a recently active thread, it would be a good place to post this. So, I'm getting married at Excellence in April (yay! So excited!) I've had the whole thing planned for there since August. Well, my dad just hears from his walking buddies (I don't think they've ever been to the DR before, they're not really the adventurous type) that the DR is not safe and my dad should be worried not only about getting mugged, but getting robbed by a taxi, or even getting kidnapped and held for ransom!!? Umm, where does he think we are going?! Now he doesn't want to come! You know how the older generation is, they get an idea in their head, they search a couple pages on the Internet, only see the negative, fixate on it, and then make up their minds based on unfortunate misinformation. My FI has basically had it with my parents at this point for making me feel guilty from day 1 for choosing to have a DW. They told me I should have just eloped and not bothered anyone. Any suggestions? Should I try to convince him that the DR is safe and if so, how? Or should I just encourage them to cancel and try to transfer their room to my best friend who at this point can't come because of finances? I don't mean to sound selfish, but FI and I paid for their room because we wanted them there and hoped they'd want to share in this special occasion with us. Ugh! Sorry for the rant, just getting close now and really want to enjoy every minute of planning what is supposed to be something extremely special. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#22 kitty25967

kitty25967
    • 320 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

There are several posts on here about girls going with Photo Souvenier  off the resort for their TTD and have been pleased.  They are highly recommended and I have hired them for my May wedding in Dominican.  We are doing a TTD and we will probably try to stay at the resort and do the shoot if its not too crowded because I will probably be hungover that morning (morning after the wedding) and very tired.  I get HIGHLY car sick so I don't think I will feel like getting in any car that morning (even if it is a short ride).  Plus we may want some "jumping in the pool shots"  I have to discuss with the FI.  We got engaged in the DR last Summer and we LOVED it there which is why we wanted to get married on the beach there.  We never felt scared, ever, and we didn't want to leave.  We stayed at the Excellence which is pretty far out so we saw some "towns" and still didn't find anything to be unsafe.  We have both traveled the world, so maybe that helped and I lived in NYC for several years, but I feel Dominican people are very nice and all should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users