Opinions & Advice needed - Beach wind

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 simba1234

• 179 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

Hi -

I am having my rehearsal dinner right on the beach (on the sand) at sunset in April. All my guests are invited (45-50 people) for a 3 course meal with open bar for 3 hours. I'm hiring a fire dancer to surprise everyone. I think this will be a cool thing that most of our guests will remember.

Second I want to do a slideshow of FI & me growing up and our families/friends. A lot of ppl do this during the reception but I just want ppl to party during the reception so I'm doing speeches & slideshows at the rehearsal dinner.

My wedding coordinator said they don't usually recommend it because of the wind. She told me they'll do it if I want to and they'll figure something out.

Has anyone had a slideshow at their beach wedding? or have you been to one where they've done it? Has wind been a problem? I really, really want to do this but I want to know if wind will really be a problem.

Advice/opinions please

#2 mykidsmomtx

• 87 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

I know what happens to umbrellas in the wind. I think it would be difficult to do a slide projector set up in the wind. Also, what about the lighting during the day? Usually you need to dim the lights to be able to see what is projected. If it is still daylight I think the light and the wind are going to be factors on a good slide show.

I love the idea though. We are doing ours at the AHR.

Maybe some other folks will be able to share better success stories!

#3 simba1234

• 179 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

The dinner starts at 6pm but it's three hours long so it should be dark enough around 8pm, which is when I would do it. I really want this to work

#4 lalanyc

• 363 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

I have seen instances of projectors set up on the beach for karaoke purposes, so I'm sure you can have a slideshow too. The wind makes it harder to hear though...

Perhaps you can choose 2 sites and once you get there (assuming you arrive a day before the rehearsal dinner) you can see if you think it's still practical/preferable to have your dinner on the beach? If not, you have your plan B?

#5 prettypigpig

• Banned
          • 1,034 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

this is a great idea! but it can be very windy at night, so I would prefer more an indoor location to do the slideshow.

Married to Mr. El Khaiat on July 4th, 2011 @ Royal Playa Del Carmen

#6 edna

• Site Supporter
            • 1,360 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

Is there any wall you can use to avoid the screen and hire the speaker / sound system , that might work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users