Credit cards...hidden prices????

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 verrow23

• 85 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

I used my Citi MC last year in COzumel and did not have any additional fees. Did they mention this was a new policy? I'm glad you got a refund though.
    I knew he was the man I would marry as soon as we met...

#12 TammyB

• 10,630 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

I was charged a fee as well. I figured their was nothing I could do about it.

#13 tvt

• VIP Member
      • 4,812 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

my moms CC got charged at $30 fee for currency conversion when she put the deposit down for our wedding. however when we were in mexico last year we used CC all the time and didn't run into one fee...

#14 TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,659 posts
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

Most credit card issuers charge currency conversion fees for foreign purchases made with their credit cards, debit and check cards, and ATM cash withdrawals.

Over the course of your travels, that can add up to a significant increase in the cost of your vacation -- money you could save by picking the right credit card.

The fees are twofold: Visa and MasterCard have a standard 1 percent charge on foreign purchases and the issuing bank adds another fee.

In the chart below, the percentage shown below each credit card issuer is the total of the fees: the amount charged by the issuer, plus the charge by Visa or MasterCard for a foreign purchase. For that 1 percent fee, Visa or MasterCard converts your foreign-currency purchase to U.S. dollars. All Visa or MasterCard cards carry that 1 percent charge.

The credit card issuer or bank often charges an additional fee, usually 2 percent, which adds up to a 3 percent total charge on foreign purchases. Bankrate contacted several credit card issuers and all refused to explain the reason for the charge.

The percentage posted under debit- and checking-card purchases is the charge assessed by both Visa or MasterCard and the credit card issuer or bank. A fee is also assessed by each card issuer and bank for ATM cash withdrawals. ATM charges vary for each card.

The table of major credit card companies and their currency-conversion-fee policies was correct as of April 2007. The data were originally collected by Bankrate researchers in October 2005. Write to Click the image to open in full size.
        Click the image to open in full size.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
        Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#15 MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 10,366 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by host
          capital 1 and discover do not charge this fee.

good to know!! thanks!

#16 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

I thought it ws capital 1 that didn't charge the fee, but I wasn't sure. One thing to know about capital 1 though is that they only report the credit you are using, not your available credit. It can hurt your credit score because it gives you a worse credit/debt ratio.

Also, you can't use a discover card in Europe. You can use it in Mexico, but its just good to know if you are heading to Europe.

Now that I know this, I'll try to use my Discover in Mexico to pay for trips.

#17 KayKay

• 81 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

It's funny you mentioned this fee. I just looked at my cc statement today and I have a fee for $6.95 because we used my Bank of America credit card to upgrade our rooms in Tulum. On my statement it says that it is "foreign transaction fee". I would alert your guests if you think they may be using cc's.
              Kacey & Eric
              March 14, 2008

#18 alrager

• 37 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Thank you everyone for responded to my post and for all the helpful information. I guess I better get a Capital One card to pay for the rest of my deposit for the wedding.

Thanks again for all the advice and info!!!

Amy R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users