Photo

Help! Starfish for invitations...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SDbeachgirl

SDbeachgirl
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

I need to buy starfish for my invitations. I ordered the assorted natural starfish from Oriental Trading company and they just arrived. I don't like them. I think I might be looking for a different kind. I have a sample invitation that has a perfect starfish. It is 1 inch in size and it looks like it might be a sugar starfish...but not certain. Has anyone purchased starfish for their invitations? If so, what kind and where did you get them?

I'm in desparate need, as I thought I was all set with the ones that I ordered from Oriental Trading...ugh!

Also, they smell really fishy. Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of the smell? Or shouldn't they smell? Maybe it is that the ones I bought were really cheap.

#2 JuneWeddingDreams

JuneWeddingDreams
    • Banned
    • 313 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

SDbeachgirl - I am sorry to hear you don't like the starfish. I can't help you on that one. However, as far as the smell...there is a post out there about the starfish. Many of the girls have left them outside to air out, others have febreezed them and others have some home remedies to get rid of the smell. I febreezed mine and they are fine now. Good luck!
      Rob and Lindsey

24 Booked + Bride and Groom

www.mywedding.com/robandlindseypearson

#3 SDbeachgirl

SDbeachgirl
      • 393 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by JuneWeddingDreams
        SDbeachgirl - I am sorry to hear you don't like the starfish. I can't help you on that one. However, as far as the smell...there is a post out there about the starfish. Many of the girls have left them outside to air out, others have febreezed them and others have some home remedies to get rid of the smell. I febreezed mine and they are fine now. Good luck!
        Which starfish did you purchase? How do you febreeze them? I don't know what that is.

#4 JuneWeddingDreams

JuneWeddingDreams
        • Banned
        • 313 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

I got mine from the following online company

Shell Horizons, Inc. Seashells Shells Wholesale Shell Dealer

Febreeze is a spray you can buy at any grocery store...its intended to make your furniture and room smell fresher :)
          Rob and Lindsey

#5 SDbeachgirl

SDbeachgirl
          • 393 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by JuneWeddingDreams
            I got mine from the following online company

Shell Horizons, Inc. Seashells Shells Wholesale Shell Dealer

Febreeze is a spray you can buy at any grocery store...its intended to make your furniture and room smell fresher :)
            Those are actually REALLY good prices! Which ones did you use? It says there is a $50 minimum and I hate to order that many if they will not work out. I want to make sure that it won't break...since I will not be putting my invitations in a box.

#6 indy_chic

indy_chic
            • 336 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

I bought Jolee's Boutique (EK Success ) Sand Theme - it has 4 star fish in it - 3 small , 1 large. You can find them at various craft stores in the scrapbooking section. I bought mine in bulk from Ebay as Michaels was selling them @ 8.99 ea (CDN).

I attached an image...hope this helps!

#7 autjo

autjo
              • 2,182 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

Hey there. I ordered my starfish from U.S. Shell, Inc. Shells World Wide. A couple of other people ordered from them too and had a godd experience.

The starfish did smell, but I just laid mine outside for a couple of days and it went away.

Also, I didn't have the online minimum so I called and they shipped them to me anyways.

#8 JuneWeddingDreams

JuneWeddingDreams
                • Banned
                • 313 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

I bought $50 worth as I figure I can use them for table decorations as well if I need to. Or use them at my AHR...
                  Rob and Lindsey

#9 SDbeachgirl

SDbeachgirl
                  • 393 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

Autumn and Lindsey- What kind of starfish did you buy?

#10 autjo

autjo
                    • 2,182 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:50 PM

I purchased the 3-4" Sugar Starfish and made ornaments out of them. There are some pics in my OOT thread. The 1-2" would probably work for invitations. Personally I think the sugar starfish look more like stars and the bay starfish are just skinnier.

http://bestdestinati....s-check-52429/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users