Venue hunting on Thursday

I am leaving for the riviera maya on Thursday and while we are down there plan to look at some resorts for our future wedding. We just got engaged last week!! We are staying at an adult only resort, which won't workfor our wedding since we unfortunantly will have to have kids there.

Looking for a short list of places we can visit. Would like to see no more than three places. What resorts would you put at the top of your list??

Jenna

Jenna,

While I do not have any suggestions, I am sure you will get plenty from other DW brides, I will also be down there from the 24th-31st. I hope to check out a few resorts and have a site visit planned for Azul. I

f you wanted to meet for a drink if you happen to be in Puerto Morelos, we would love to help in any way we could.

• VIP Member

CONGRATULATIONS JENNA!!! Just last week, that's so exciting!!!

Do you have certain things that you want? For instance you already said you want children there. What about wedding location? Do you want to get married on the beach, on the rocks, in a gazebo? Do you want a large resort with a ton to do, or a more low key resort? Do you want a private beach reception, or a reception in a restaurant? Do you mind a little bit of a drive from the airport? Do you want do activities outside of your wedding?

Answering these questions will certainly help you develop a short list.

There are so many choices! We would like to get married on the beach for sure. I don't want a formal reception--just something casual and laid back. Maybe in a private room at a resturant or outside, I would even do buffet. No formal music, but a place where we can hang out at one of the bars after. I like the idea of a smaller place so my guests can see and spend time with each other, but I also love activities where everyone can do their own thing.

Went to a wedding a riu palace a while back and loved it. So that is on the list for sure.

I want it to feel more of a vacation for everyone and there just happens to be a wedding on one of the nights.

• VIP Member

For activities, would you like more of "party" activities, or more like outdoor activities (like snorkeling, cenote swimming, zip lines, etc)?

Because if you would like more of the outdoor type stuff, I would look at resorts south of Cancun, just so you have less distance to travel.

And don't worry, I had a HUGE resort for my wedding, and all of our guests still hung out with each other. We basically just had one place where we'd all hang out. But because the resort was so big and had so many different pools, it wasn't crowded. it was perfect.

Congrats!!

I would try to make a list so you can arrange day passes. A lot of the resorts won't just let you on to check it out. I'm sure you've already thought of this but didn't want you to get held up.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!!

There are so many factors into making recommendations ( especially as their are soooo many properties and they all offer something different!)

The ones that have done a great job for my brides and has nice beaches would be:

Azul Beach- probably the most private

Gran Porto Real - with the sister adult property Royal Playa del carmen

Iberostar -the entire complex has been great

TA Jill works with the Dreams Cancun or Tulum ( TA Tammy also works with Dreams Tulum) and their brides have been thrilled!

TA Maureen works with the Rius and had her wedding at the Riu Ocho Rios in Jamaica and has many, many happy Riu brides!

That's just the short list! Each property above is completely different- the amenities, dining options and quality, size of resort, price points, weddings and ambiance! Even within the Riu complexes and the Iberostars each property is a bit different !

I would highly recommend using a TA that specializes in destination weddings to help you narrow down your choices and help define what you envision!

Definately contact the resorts and make appoinments with the WC's or sales managers before you go so that there is someone available to take you around the resort, show you the various category of rooms and answer questions!

Good luck and have fun on your site visits!