Jump to content
gkashmira

What I would and wouldn't do again...

Recommended Posts


Thank you for the advice.  So you got free shipping in addition to free stuff when you called?  Was your whole order free then?


 

Originally Posted by MJKH View Post

After spending time cleaning out wedding items in my basement last night, I'd like to offer up one more piece of advice to brides...

 

VISTAPRINT...I'm so happy with all of the items we utilized over the course of the last year.  Their customer service was excellent...if something wasn't printed to my satisfaction (blemishes on the paper, etc.) they reprinted the items and sent them express post every time so that I had replacements a week later.

 

Here's the problem...it's really easy to get "caught up" in their promotions and order way too much too soon.  I ended up throwing into recycling last night a whole bunch of personalized cards, etc. that we didn't use...for lots of reasons...my vision and plans changed over the course of the year, new ideas for items popped up on BDW threads, one of our flower girls (and her family) did not end up coming to Mexico (and it would have been too awkward to have given her the personalized bag, notebook, etc. after the fact).  Rest assured if you sign up to receive their e-mails/specials, you will get sent out a number of them each week.  Really take your time and plan out what you will need and how you will utilize your printed items.  When I was waiting for an e-mail from Vistaprint that offered free 7 day shipping, I ended up picking up the phone and asking one of their representatives if she had a current offer in the system that would meet my needs, and she made it happen!  Don't wait around for an e-mail...call them and tell them what you're looking for and they try their best to make it happen.  

 

So, don't leave anything to the last minute, but if I had to do it all over again, I would design my little heart out and save the items in my porfolio.  Then as my plan really came together 2 or 3 months before the wedding and the guest count was solid, I would start to order.  Just something to think about...
 



 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha...no!  I don't think anything on Vistaprint is truly "free"...you're either paying for the item (or some percentage of it!) and getting free shipping, or paying for the shipping in some roundabout way.  But I'm in Canada, so maybe the deals in the US are better.  I was wanting the 7 day shipping because it was the last few things we needed right before we left for the wedding and I needed them to arrive ASAP.  
 

Originally Posted by shan0487 View Post


Thank you for the advice.  So you got free shipping in addition to free stuff when you called?  Was your whole order free then?


 



 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, that makes sense! I was like " I need to get on the phone ASAP!!" haha! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No...just take your time ; )

 

I'm housecleaning this morning and my mind is wandering aimlessly.  I just thought of something else I would "do again".  If you and your FI have never had a photoshoot done together, I would recommend you do this before working with your "big gun" (i.e., your wedding day photographer).  We had some very reasonably priced engagement photos done in the fall (it was a groupon) and that helped us figure out how to pose together...what angles we preferred...what poses we hated (for me it was definitely the ones where he was standing behind me with his arms wrapped under my bustline)...and just got us comfortable moving in front of a camera.  For some reason, it took some time for my FI to figure out that when the photog said "ok, now lean in and kiss her", he needed to slow down and hold the kiss for longer than a millisecond!      
 

Originally Posted by shan0487 View Post

Ok, that makes sense! I was like " I need to get on the phone ASAP!!" haha! :)



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea. We wont have a photo shoot ahead of time, but I will tell him these tips!! He is super awkward around someone else taking our picture!

 

Originally Posted by MJKH View Post

No...just take your time ; )

 

I'm housecleaning this morning and my mind is wandering aimlessly.  I just thought of something else I would "do again".  If you and your FI have never had a photoshoot done together, I would recommend you do this before working with your "big gun" (i.e., your wedding day photographer).  We had some very reasonably priced engagement photos done in the fall (it was a groupon) and that helped us figure out how to pose together...what angles we preferred...what poses we hated (for me it was definitely the ones where he was standing behind me with his arms wrapped under my bustline)...and just got us comfortable moving in front of a camera.  For some reason, it took some time for my FI to figure out that when the photog said "ok, now lean in and kiss her", he needed to slow down and hold the kiss for longer than a millisecond!      
 



 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One last addition to my list:

 

AHR:  I would do this again, however, I have learned that this has nothing to do with the bride and groom and EVERYTHING to do with your family.  Instead of trying to have a say in anything, I would just save myself the headache and just let my family control the whole thing, show up, greet and thank guests for coming and go home.  The disagreements, differing opinions about the purpose of a reception (my family thinks it is simply to receive as many gifts and as much money as possible) and just the utter frustration of dealing with my family just wasn't worth it.  My husband and I had our AHR yesterday and went out with friends for dinner last night.  My husband turned to me and said the best words I have heard in a long time, "Now we are done getting married."  Amen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my god, thank you THANK YOU for posting this.  I just got off the phone after an hour and a half of fighting with my mother about the AHR, and this is exactly the wisdom I need right now.  Even if she's planning a horribly expensive and tacky event that makes me wince just to think about, I'm going to be zen, show up, greet guests, and go home.

 

Ommmm. 

 

Originally Posted by Brenners View Post

One last addition to my list:

 

AHR:  I would do this again, however, I have learned that this has nothing to do with the bride and groom and EVERYTHING to do with your family.  Instead of trying to have a say in anything, I would just save myself the headache and just let my family control the whole thing, show up, greet and thank guests for coming and go home.  The disagreements, differing opinions about the purpose of a reception (my family thinks it is simply to receive as many gifts and as much money as possible) and just the utter frustration of dealing with my family just wasn't worth it.  My husband and I had our AHR yesterday and went out with friends for dinner last night.  My husband turned to me and said the best words I have heard in a long time, "Now we are done getting married."  Amen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wish someone would have told me this so I hope it saves you some pain and frustration!  Good luck!

Originally Posted by jello View Post

Oh my god, thank you THANK YOU for posting this.  I just got off the phone after an hour and a half of fighting with my mother about the AHR, and this is exactly the wisdom I need right now.  Even if she's planning a horribly expensive and tacky event that makes me wince just to think about, I'm going to be zen, show up, greet guests, and go home.

 

Ommmm. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • I have stayed at Dreams La Romana and Dreams Dominicus.  The two resorts are very different in style and decor. A few comparison points are below and fact sheets are attached for both.   Both resorts are approx 45 minutes from Punta Cana airport, close proximity to Saona Island, Catalina Island and Altos de Chavon. Top championship golf courses in the Caribbean are just minutes away including Teeth of the Dog, Dye Fore, The Links and La Estancia – all designed by world-famous Pete Dye. Restaurants are similar at both resorts.  Both offer the Explorers Club for Kids.  Dreams Dominicus  Brand new resort and in 2016 488 rooms (however additional construction was underway) More contemporary style & decor Good beach area Rooms were very nice Preferred Club located in main lobby and adjacent to main pool & beach front Food was good Center plaza area with nighttime entertainment Main lobby is small, but outdoor bar off lobby is nice Dreams La Romana Originally built in 2003 & opened as Dreams La Romana in 2008 756 rooms Recently renovated and new preferred club adults only lounge & pool added  Rooms are more traditional Caribbean decor Grounds are very lush and tropical Good beach area food was good    Dreams Dominicus fact sheet.pdf Dreams La Romana fact sheet.pdf
    • My sister has done it but with the destination wedding, only super close family members and friends came since it was expensive and farther. It was great though.
    • Thanks! I had it printed out. Very useful!!
    • Hello Guys, Are you looking for affordable wedding venue, reception halls, party rentals, outdoor event venue, birthday party venue in mobile al.  Choose Anne-Marie Cottage for your special occasion. Our cottage is an affordable venue for your intimate wedding.   Thank u 
    • Flower girl dresses tend to follow the latest trends in bridal party and thanks for sharing Great website that provide  good collection & services with affordable price .
  • Topics

×