Sign in to follow this  
truelove4life

Considering the Melia Cayo Santa Maria ...

My fiancee and I have narrowed our choices down to a few for Cuba and we are leaning toward the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. We are getting married in early July 2010. Has anyone been?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

We were there last year at this time (late Sept early Oct) it is a great resort. The rooms are very nice although not the 'suites' they say they are, still they are fairly spacious. They have tubs, toilet & bidet in one room and sink with hairdryer in dressing room, separate from toilet area. Ask for an upstairs room on the ocean side and I think y ou'll have a view of the ocean, if you're downstairs all you see is thick shrub. The hotel is away from the beach (as are most newer Cuban hotels) so it's about a 5 minute walk to the beach. This resort is much smaller than Las Dunas which is next door, yet they are almost attached. They share the same spa, but you will have a complimentary spa tour, which is nice.. no free massage, but you can try the hot baths and the hot tub which is outdoors under a palapa.....it poured rain when we were there, it was like being in heaven!

To give you an idea, Sol Melia has 360 rooms: 358 Double Standard, 2 Junior Suite, and Las Dunas had 925 rooms....... so you can see the difference. Neither is small but one is huge compared to the other.

The food was fantastic, we tend to avoid the buffet's at these places, but when forcecd to eat there one night, were pleasantly surprised! it was great! huge choice, fresh food etc.. the buffet dining room is enclosed so no problem with mossies. If you want head onto tripadvisor and you can read my review. We even saw a wedding going on at the beach! it was sooooo nice! My son is getting married at Las Dunas in January '10.

Best of luck and you'll not be disappointed! btw, I could have given it a 5* which it probably is for Cuba.....it's a great place, very quiet if that's what you're looking for.....read away! Complaints!!!!! ? - Review of Melia Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba - TripAdvisor

Thanks so much for the info!! We are kind of in limbo between a few places and I think we have settled on the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. It sounds really nice from your review. It seems that most people are going to the Melia Las Dunas though and now I am wondering if we should consider that as well. So many decisions!!!!! :)

Hi True4Life,

I am getting married at the Las Dunas - the Melia Cayo Santa Maria sounds nice too - but it wasn't an option for us as we have at least one child coming with us. I think the MLD has more options for wedding locations, but to be honest I'm not really sure about the wedding options for MCSM, maybe you could talk to a TA with experience planning weddings at both? Good luck deciding!!

I agree- talk to a TA who you trust. Let them know what you're looking for and they'll be able to tell you which resort is a good match for your needs. If you're planning on having any children attend MLD is a good bet because it has adult and family areas, but if not the other may be a good option too. Also, I think Melia Cayo Santa Maria is a smaller property, so if you're going for a more intimate feel it may be the way to go. I would make a list of a few things that are important to you, and then you may be able to narrow it down.

Thanks everyone! We are still trying to decide and I have been in touch with a new TA .. hopefully we can get the resort figured out .. one that will best meet our needs. Thanks for the input about the MCSM!! :)

Hey Girl! Make sure to scope out the "MLD Brides" thread. There is TONS of info there about Melia Las Dunas Cayo Santa Maria. Also, scope out my review (bottom of siggy) we were there for two weeks, so I have quite a bit of info on there.

Hey there!

My first trip to Cuba was to the Melia Cayo Santa Maria resort and it is absolutely GORGEOUS. The only down side is the trip from the airport to the resort ... it's bloody LONG. And the resort is very, very isolated in its location ... though it is a gorgeous location!

Hubby and I were married at the Melia Cayo Guillermo and we loved it. It's in the same region as the Melia Cayo Santa Maria (they are pretty close) but it's a bit closer to the airport and to other activities and things and it was overall the perfect resort - and we were there for two weeks!!

The food was AMAZING at the Cayo Guillermo as well ... and the staff ... amazing! I have yet to put up a review of the resort (I know, I know) ... but if you want more info regarding either resort (Cayo Santa Maria as a visitor, and Cayo Guillermo as a bride) just send me a message!