Lets Talk Wedding Cake

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SgtPepperette

• 1,225 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

So we are trying to figure out the wedding cake. Wedding cake talk confuses me, fillings, icing, cake....oh my.

Unfortunately we wont be able to try the cake....but I have heard great reviews on the Publix so thats who we plan to use.

Now my FI keeps going on and on about this casssata cake. They do have it at their bakery, so Im going to contact them tomorrow to see if its doable for a wedding cake. I still would like it to feel like a wedding cake though, not just a regular cake.

Any cake tips for the confused?

#2 Patti

• 555 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

What's a casssata cake?

#3 boscobel

• VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

I googled images of cassata cakes and some of them are fancy - cassata cake - Google Images - so they might be ok for a wedding cake.

#4 itsfinallyhere

• 573 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

Page 3 of that google shows some wedding cakes that are nice.

#5 vlynnw

• 6,003 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

You might want to consider doing mini cakes for the cassata, FI and I are planning on having small square mini cakes on tiers with a regular small top tier.
            Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#6 poohshek

• 1,456 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:40 PM

Some bakeries give price quote per slice and some quotes are per serving. There is a huge difference between those two and make sure you get clarification. Also ask how big is a slice and also the serving size.

Per Serving = Per Guest
              Per Slice = Can be 1 - 9 Guests

I once stared at a pretty small cake wondering how it could feed 100 guests. After the bakery owner explained the serving size, my jaw dropped and could not believe it was basically 2 - 3 bites per person.

#7 ebredhawk

• 949 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

poohshek is right... make sure you clarify what a serving size is. for a wedding cake, a serving should be a 1'' x 2'' x 4'' slice (assuming your cake is 2 layers) which is usually plenty especially if you have alcohol at your reception.. it makes people eat less cake, trust me.

as a cake decorator myself, i know that if you can dream it and the bakery you're going to is good enough, they can execute it. tell them what you want and see what they can do! it can't hurt to ask. plus, it looks like those cassata cakes can be made beautifully and you can always have cupcakes or another small, regular cake to go along with it!

#8 autjo

• 2,182 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:40 AM

I don't know jack about wedding cakes, but a cassata cake sounds delicious! Maybe thats because I haven't had breakfast yet...

IMO as long as you put a cute wedding topper on it, the cake will "feel" like a wedding cake :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users