#91 AllieH

AllieH
  • Resort/Area Ambassadors
  • 2,014 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
  • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

yes, you are correct. $900 total. BUT - if you aren't married when you go to Mexico, you'll want to have it split so $300 is in YOUR bag, and $600 split between FI/stepdaughter - since they are related it can be co-mingled. if you aren't married yet, then you're still a single. confusing, I know. Just would hate for you to have $450 of stuff, them to have $450, and you get taxed over a technicality. it's Mexico..they'll do what they want...(IF you get the red light, and IF your customs inspector is feeling extra-detailed).

So am I right that in summary:

My OOT gifts are the only things I am giving to my guests and not bringing back with me are under $900 ($300 per person for , me, my fiancé, my stepdaughter)... then I am good?

if they are clear and you can see the contents, I wouldn't expect them to open them. but..like I said above - it's Mexico, and if you get a red light, and if the urge strikes your customs inspector, they just might. I'd stash a stapler in your checked bag just in case...

Do they open the oot bags?? Even if they are clear but stapled will they open them to inspect??? I know in the states they will randomly

@Mandiesue - You'll need to read up on the customs requirements for DR. I highly doubt they are the same as Mexico's. The amounts and limits are set by each individual country.

This is great information... Is it the same policies for the Dominican Republic? I am getting married there in 2015.

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#92 Csonnel

Csonnel
  • 174 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 24, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

This is great information... Is it the same policies for the Dominican Republic? I am getting married there in 2015.

I went to DR for my best friends wedding in December and I had most of her items in my suitcase. They make you fill out a card on the plane before landing and I spoke to the stewardess as I was confused. They asked about total $ amount in gifts I was bringing in but she stated as they are items that I am not giving as gifts to anyone that lives in DR, I do not need to declare them. She said anything related to the wedding was fine and need not be declared.

#93 Mandiesue

Mandiesue
  • 309 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Dreams La Romana
  • LocationDominica Republic

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

@Csonnel Thank you. May I ask where u friend got married, we are getting married at the Dreams La Romana.

#94 Csonnel

Csonnel
  • 174 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 24, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

@Mandiesue She was married at the Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana. I'll be setting my date for Dreams La Romana in 2016:)

#95 Mandiesue

Mandiesue
  • 309 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Dreams La Romana
  • LocationDominica Republic

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:09 AM

Ok. Thanks and good luck with your wedding planning.

#96 sammbugg

sammbugg
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

OK- so I`m getting married in Cancun this April and just found this post. It sounds like if you are prepared and get the `green` light you are ok...the funny thing is the past 5 times my fiance and I have been to Mexico he has gotten the `red` light and been searched, so I`m a little worried :S

Has anyone heard about shipping packages to Cancun? Would you recommend it or do things get lost/damaged?

Thanks for any help.

#97 KSanford70

KSanford70
    • 8 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 18, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Cozumel Palace Resort & Spa, Cozumel
    • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

OK- so I`m getting married in Cancun this April and just found this post. It sounds like if you are prepared and get the `green` light you are ok...the funny thing is the past 5 times my fiance and I have been to Mexico he has gotten the `red` light and been searched, so I`m a little worried :S

Has anyone heard about shipping packages to Cancun? Would you recommend it or do things get lost/damaged?

Thanks for any help.

I was scared off from shipping  when FEDEX explained that if you don't pay the correct fees for taxes and customs, your items are subject to the receiver paying them, or your items being discarded!  That is why I carried everything myself.  It was recommended that we get a customs broker to help with shipping, but we didn't want the extra cost. Costs are dependent on where the items are made (and you need to know that.) For example, there is some extra tax with things made in China (flip flops from Old Navy are made in China.) It was just more complex than I wanted to deal with...

Married 1-18-14; Cozumel Palace Resort & Spa

#98 sammbugg

sammbugg
    • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

I was scared off from shipping  when FEDEX explained that if you don't pay the correct fees for taxes and customs, your items are subject to the receiver paying them, or your items being discarded!  That is why I carried everything myself.  It was recommended that we get a customs broker to help with shipping, but we didn't want the extra cost. Costs are dependent on where the items are made (and you need to know that.) For example, there is some extra tax with things made in China (flip flops from Old Navy are made in China.) It was just more complex than I wanted to deal with...

Thank you that is great information, especially because I was looking specifically at FEDEX. I guess I'll be packing everything and taking it with me.

#99 elissae

elissae
      • 631 posts
      • Wedding Date:April 2, 2013
      • Wedding Location:Riu Palace Riviera Maya
      • LocationClifton Park, NY

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

[quote name="KSanford70" post="1824827" timestamp="1389393960"]Elissae...can we get an update? How did things go at cutoms? Any issues? I leave Tuesday for Cozumel Palace and our Jan. 18th wedding. I have done a list similar to yours and want to know if it sufficed.
      Elissae...How did it turn out with customs? I'm making lists like yours and want to know if you ran into any issues. My wedding is next Saturday 1/18 but we leave Tuesday...

I am so so sorry KSanford70. I was locked out of this forum for. Bit with all the changes they made to the website. I am just seeing your inquiry.

We were very fortunate and got green lights. We breezed right through!! How did you end up making out?

Again so so sorry hon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blissfully married since April 2, 2013.

#100 KSanford70

KSanford70
      • 8 posts
      • Wedding Date:January 18, 2014
      • Wedding Location:Cozumel Palace Resort & Spa, Cozumel
      • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

[quote name="KSanford70" post="1824827" timestamp="1389393960"]Elissae...can we get an update? How did things go at cutoms? Any issues? I leave Tuesday for Cozumel Palace and our Jan. 18th wedding. I have done a list similar to yours and want to know if it sufficed.
      Elissae...How did it turn out with customs? I'm making lists like yours and want to know if you ran into any issues. My wedding is next Saturday 1/18 but we leave Tuesday...

I am so so sorry KSanford70. I was locked out of this forum for. Bit with all the changes they made to the website. I am just seeing your inquiry.

We were very fortunate and got green lights. We breezed right through!! How did you end up making out?

Again so so sorry hon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did exactly what you did (receipts and lists) and got right through after a half-hearted search by one of the agents! I never saw a green or a red light actually! lol :)

Married 1-18-14; Cozumel Palace Resort & Spa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users