Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Urgent question about certification

Recommended Posts

I'm hoping someone is able to quickly answer a question for us as we are heading home from our Mexican wedding tomorrow. Our wedding coordinator asked if we wanted to have our wedding certificate apostilized here in Mexico for $150 USD. Would anyone happen to know if it's better to have it legalized here or have the paperwork done at home (in Canada)? I'm assuming it also needs to be translated for any name changes etc., but don't know if it must be legalized before translation or after (or both). Sorry I didn´t have time to search through all the posts. Thanks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure, but I found this info & maybe it'll help. Good luck!!


From the Mexican embassy in Canada


*Check section 4*

Embajada de México en Canadá


"Marrying another canadian citizen or a non -mexican in Mexico


1. Important information

2. Requirements

3. Legalization of documents to be submitted

4. Recognition of Mexican marriage certificate



1. Important information According to international law, a marriage performed in Mexico is valid in any other country unless the parties were deliberately evading restrictions imposed by their own national laws. Therefore, a Mexican marriage will be valid in Canada if there were no Canadian impediments.


a) Only an officer of the Registro Civil (the Mexican equivalent of the Registrar General's Office) can legally perform a marriage ceremony.


B) A religious wedding may be performed after presenting proof of a civil marriage (an authenticated or legalized certificate of the civil marriage must be presented as proof).


c) Non-Mexicans are not subject to a residence requirement, but will have to identify themselves with their their passport (for some nationalities, a certified copy of a birth certificate and a photo identification card will suffice when travelling), and tourist card and/or visa (the document that shows their entry to Mexico).


d) Marriages are performed for a small fee at the "Oficina del Registro Civil", but they may be performed elsewhere for an additional fee, which will be determined by the Registro Civil. There are "Oficinas del Registro Civil" in each city or small town in Mexico. When staying at a hotel, the address of the "Oficina del Registro Civil" can be obtained from hotel management. e) If a foreigner intends to marry a Mexican citizen, the Mexican National Migration Institute (Instituto Nacional de Migración) must grant a permit; processing of this permit takes approximately two weeks and the application must be submitted by the couple intending to marry or by the Mexican citizen. For more information on this matter, see the section entitled Marrying a Mexican Citizen in Mexico.


f) In some States of the Republic divorced persons cannot marry in Mexico until one year after the divorce order has been issued by the judge, unless otherwise indicated in the divorce decree.


g) Persons under 18 years of age cannot marry without the consent of their parents or legal guardians.




2. Requirements


As marriage is a matter of local law, please consider that the following requirements generally apply to all 31 States of the Republic and the Federal District (hotel management or the civil registry office can provide you with specific requirements). Documents that must be presented to the Oficina del Registro Civil:


a) A completed application form (provided at the local Civil Registry Office).


B) An agreement prepared by the parties indicating whether their marriage will be contracted under the system of community or separate ownership of property. Mexican law states that marriage certificates must indicate the property system chosen by the couple.


c) A certified copy of their birth certificates (long version) previously legalized by the Mexican Consular Office having jurisdiction over the region where the birth certificate was issued.


d) In the case where one of the parties has previously been divorced, the couple must present a certified copy of the divorce decree legalized by the Mexican Consular Office having jurisdiction over the region where the divorce decree was issued (for some countries the apostille applies - see below)


e) In the case where one of the parties was previously widowed, the couple must present a certified copy of the death certificate legalized by the Mexican Consular Office having jurisdiction over the region where the spouse died (for some countries the apostille applies - see below)


f) A physician's certificate stating that according to the blood tests and thorax X-rays taken in Mexico, neither applicant suffers from any contagious disease.


g) A statement from each of two qualified witnesses (over 18 years of age, who personally know the applicants and who must be present at the ceremony) swearing that the applicants do not have any legal impediment to marry.




3. Legalization of documents to be submitted (Apostille does not apply)


4. Recognition of your mexican marriage certificate


Following the marriage, you should keep the original certificate (the one with your fingerprints) a certified copy will be available at the Oficina del Registro Civil. The original receipt and the marriage certificate are legal documents and will be recognized in Canada, unless your marriage in Mexico contravenes Canadian Law (ei. You were not legally entitled to marry in Canada). Some Canadian entities will accept the certificate without any other requirement but others, will request legalization by the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in Mexico.


To legalize a marriage certificate issued in Mexico, follow the steps listed below:


1. The document must first be authenticated at the local government office (Secretaría de Gobierno) of the State where the marriage took place.


2. The document must then be stamped by the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs.



3. Finally, the document must be presented to the Canadian Embassy in Mexico."

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in the Mayan Riviera. We had excellent weather and a fabulous time!! Thanx

We did end up choosing to have our certificate legalized there. We had a meeting with our wedding coordinator before reading your response and she convinced us that our certificate would only be recognized in Mexico unless we have it apostiled (then it will be recognized internationally). She said that we could leave it with her or have it done at the Mexican Embassy in Canada, but that they would have to send it back to Mexico anyways.

Your response gave us the peace of mind we needed after making our decision. I will be changing my name so I'm sure I will need to have the legalized certificate. Thank you again ~cheryl

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you made the best choice, especially if the marriage certificate would have to be sent back to MX anyway to for the apostille!

So glad you had such a wonderful time!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this