Jump to content

Notice: The site will be offline this Saturday evening (4/21/18) for a major software update. Thank you in advance for your patience while upgrade to a new-improved version of BDW.

? for Former Riu Santa Fe Brides re: birth certificate translation

  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lgarner83

  • Member
  • 530 posts

    Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

    Hi ladies!

    We are having a civil ceremony at Riu Santa Fe and I know that we need to have our birth certificates translated and notarized in order to be legally married. My question is: which form of birth certificate do we need translated? the long form or the short form?

    OMG I just read the Mexican requirements thread in another section and it confused me so much!!! For Riu Santa Fe, what steps exactly did you need to take as far as legal requirement documentation. THANK YOU!!!!

    #2 Peaches2010

    • Newbie
    • 42 posts

      Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

      Hi there!

      I'm getting married in the Riu Palace so I think the requirements would be the same. If you go on their website and go into their wedding section and FAQ it lists what is required legally in terms of documentation for a legal ceremony.

      Here's the info for Cabo:

      1. Birth Certificate*
      2. Passport (for the couple)
      3. Divorce Decree (People divorced with less than a year cannot get legally married)*
      4. Death Certificate of previous partner (if applicable)
      5. Tourist Card (provided in the Airport at your arrival to Mexico)
      6. Blood test (They will be done at the resort, once you are in the hotel)
      7. Passport or ID of your witnesses (Required 4 & they must be at least 18 years old)
      8. Written parental consents for couples under 18 years (if applicable)
      9. Legal Information Form (the on-site wedding coordinator will send it to you)
      *Apostilled and translated into Spanish

      It is not necessary to get the original, you can bring a Photocopy (over there they are going to put the seals)
      Please scan them and send them to the on-site wedding coordinator by e-mail at least 30 days prior the weding´s date.
      Note: Please bring your documents with the apostille or notarized seal with you.

      For the Birth Certificate, you require one with both parents names on it. This needs to be translated into Spanish and notorized. We just googled spanish consulate in our area and came across one. If you have your BC translated by them, they can notorize for you as well. It is advised to give yourself a lot of time to get this done before the wedding.

      If you have any other questions in terms of legal documentation requirement, I'd also suggest to email your WC.

      #3 lgarner83

      • Member
      • 530 posts

        Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

        Thanks, I saw that on the site but I have no idea what apostilled means...is it the same as notarized? Also, in the "legal requirements for mexico" thread int he other section, a poster says something about having to send it away to the Mexican embassy to have it authorized or something like that. Does that not apply here? Because we found a translating service and we already have a lawyer that can sign off on it...is that all we need then?

        #4 lgarner83

        • Member
        • 530 posts

          Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

          I also want to add that I'm trying to communicate with the WC about this but I haven't heard anything back yet.

          I would also love to hear the process that previous brides took for Riu Santa Fe!

          #5 Peaches2010

          • Newbie
          • 42 posts

            Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

            Yes, it means the same as notorized. I haven't heard anything about sending it to the ambassy... I don't want to give out wrong advice, so I would double check with your WC if having it translated and then notorized by a lawyer is sufficient. Sounds like you're on track though!

            #6 abbygirl

            • Newbie
            • 57 posts

              Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:39 AM

              Hi Lisa,
              We are getting married in about two weeks, so I have all the documents & can help you out with this. My travel agent helped me, so I definitely have all the right information - as well, I have sent it to Erika (WC) already.

              To start, you will have to go to the government site to get your "Long Form Birth Certificate" - once ordered, over the internet, it will take about 3 weeks to be delivered.

              Then, the Long Form Birth Certificates get sent to Ottawa - Mexican Consulate....

              This is from my travel agent:
              I have just spoken with the Meixican Consulate. The fee for Legalization is $ 47.00 CAD per person. This will be $ 94.00. It must be in the form of Money Order made payable to the Embassy of Mexico.

              We don't need to have the original birth certificate translated until after the Authentication and Legalization.

              (the above, in Ottawa, takes about 2-3 weeks)

              The translation has to be done by a certified person, not just anyone - just to let you know. If you need the name of the girl we used, just let me know. I believe my total cost for two of them was $90 - ($45 each) - there was another person for about $300, yes....crazy!!!

              I believe that is all - let me know if you need any help! or I am missing something.


              #7 lgarner83

              • Member
              • 530 posts

                Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:20 AM

                Abby- are you sure it needs to be sent to the Mexican consulate? I know you got the info from your TA but different resorts require different things. Erika is slow to resond to my email this time and I'm getting all stressed lol. Did she ask all of this from you as well? I just don't want to do anything that I don't have to....that may sound lazy but I prefer the term "cheap" lol

                #8 abbygirl

                • Newbie
                • 57 posts

                  Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

                  Lisa - yes, as far as I know we needed to have it done. I am sure my TA called our resort, as well as the Mexican Cosulate to see what we needed. I know that all of this is not required in the Mayan, Cancun, etc - my TA hasn't had to gather all this information before....it was new to her. Hope this helps!! I wouldn't have spent the money either if I didn't have to. I believe when it goes to Ottawa, they notorize it & authenticate it - both for the $90. It is alot of work but had to be done....more work than most other areas. Good luck!!

                  The list of things needed above, are exactly what Erika sent me to have done & sent to her.

                  #9 lgarner83

                  • Member
                  • 530 posts

                    Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

                    Thanks Abby!!!

                    #10 lgarner83

                    • Member
                    • 530 posts

                      Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

                      Ok, so, we get the money order and send the birth certificates to Ottawa....did you put in a cover letter or something asking them to be authenticated? and they send it back to you on their own or did you need to put in a returned stamped envelope? Sorry, I'm the kind of person who wants to know EXACTLY what to do so nothing gets missed! What a pain in the butt! lol

                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users