Photo

Shipping wedding supplies to Cabo?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pixystix

pixystix
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

Has anyone shipped their wedding accessories to Cabo? If so, what carrier did you use and did you have any issues? I would like to ship votives and some other decorative items down to the resort directly for them to store until I get there. I think it will be easier than trying to fit it all in my luggage with everything else I will be taking. Any ideas on how to do this would be great. Thanks in advance!!
    ~Shawna

www.shawnaandbeau.weddingwindow.com

Getting married on June 20,09 at the Sheraton Hacienda in Cabo del Sol, Mexico!!

#2 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 8,569 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

In the most recent dreams cabo review a bride sent all her oot stuff and decor via UPS and never arrived in cabo and was never returned to her. Let me see if i can find it.

#3 krebsler

krebsler
      • 153 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

I was thinking of doing this as well, but I'm afraid of things breaking. I know I would be all bent out of shape if my box arrived with all my belongings in shambles. Have you considered renting some of these things? I'm going to Cabo in 2 weeks and have this on my list of questions. I will let you know if they allow boxes shipped and what carriers they usually work with. Keep me posted if you find any information out as well.

#4 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,569 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

here it is:
          http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t39465

#5 pixystix

pixystix
          • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

Thanks Erika! I knew I was reading somewhere about UPS being a bad carrier for someone. Hopefully someone on here has a good experience with shipping. I am going to ask the coordinator at the Sheraton and see if he has any suggestions. I have looked into renting votive's and it will cost approx $2.50 a piece. I found 144 votive's for $70 oI figured that alone would save me a lot of money and I could also give them to my guests as part of my wedding favors when the reception was over. I will let you all know if I find out any better info! Thanks for all the fast responses :)
            ~Shawna

www.shawnaandbeau.weddingwindow.com

Getting married on June 20,09 at the Sheraton Hacienda in Cabo del Sol, Mexico!!

#6 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
            • 2,777 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

Many girls have asked about shipping and it has been strongly discouraged! You have no guarantee of receiving your items, some resorts won'thold anything, if they do they charge outrageous prices! Also you could be responsible for customs import duties and clearing charges. you may have to clear them in person. Most countries charge between 25% and 35% import duty on all items Thats how most countries make their operating income. If there is no invoice for the value of the items they determine the value and it will not be to your benefit. Your items will not be released until these things are cleared and duties are paid. It's a big and hassle and expensive

The only way to really do this and be to your benefit is if you have family or someone in cabo to send your stuff too but they will still have to pay

#7 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
              • 11,659 posts
              • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

it REALLY is not a good idea. i hear horror stories all the time of packages not arriving (some of mine didn't for my OOT bags and i had them sent weeks before).

if you must do it, there are shipping brokers that can make the process a little easier and help you navigate through the paperwork but i really do not think it is work it...just pack an extra suitcase or split the stuff amongst your family to bring (thats waht i did).

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
              Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
              Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
              Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
              sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
              Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#8 jennwo

jennwo
              • 189 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:41 AM

I've also heard of girls that brought their boxes to the airport and paid for additional bags at check-in through some of their guests. Not sure it that was an old post and they don't do that anymore, but it's worth looking into...

#9 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
                • 2,777 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:24 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by jennwo
                  I've also heard of girls that brought their boxes to the airport and paid for additional bags at check-in through some of their guests. Not sure it that was an old post and they don't do that anymore, but it's worth looking into...
                  An airline can't check your bags under someone elses name. if that guest is with you at the time of check in, then they can take your bag and check it. The guest has to be present, and has to present the bag as theirs

#10 Jeremy Herman PhotoVideo

Jeremy Herman PhotoVideo
                  • 249 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

Living in Cabo for the last 6 years, the most reliable carrier for me has been DHL, they have 2 offices in cabo and their services matches the US standarts.
                    Hope this helps
                    aaaweddingphotovideo by Jeremy Herman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users