sandy flies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rachelgo

• 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

i went to visit the hotel in oct and got attacked by sandflies- do you know if they are seasonal?
    does anyone have any advise for avoiding them?

#2 Mastistyle

• 62 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

I am not sure about Jamaica-but I went to Belize in December and we looked like we had the chicken pox! The staff gave us some off insect repelent. It helped, but we smelled like that the whole time! I hope someone has better ideas!

#3 Lilpaisley

• 402 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

I don't know if it works on sand flies...but vitamin B1 helps with mosquitoes….so it can’t hurt to try. Start taking it about 1 to 2 weeks before you go and while you are there. FI always gets eaten alive, so we started taking B1 last week. It’s gotten rave reviews on Trip Advisor…I’ll let you know if it helps with Sand Flies.
        Riu Montego Bay, Jamaica - Feb 28, 2009

#4 NJ_bride

• 227 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

Hi! I got eaten alive in Jamaica too. Don't think it is seasonal though I knew about these suckers ahead of time and brought Off Skintastic, worked good when I remembered to put it on. I kept forgetting b/c you don't feel them biting you! Also my friend bought some spray repellent oil stuff in the gift shop and it worked great. It had tea tree oil in it. Bugs love me no matter where I am. My hubby didn't get 1 bite!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users