Photo

fellow strapless dress wearers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 akumalbound

akumalbound
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

my seamstress convinced me i should have a little gap between my dress and my bod bc if it were any tighter, it would pull too much. do you have a gap? i feel like it looks too big but i'm afraid to ask her to take it in more bc i don't want to 'hang' over it. it feels comfortable but you can see a small space btween me and the dress...

#2 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 6,996 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

I won't know for sure until I go for my last fitting tomorrow, but my seamstress altered it very snug last time I was there. I don't even have a ton of breathing room, much less a gap! But, I have very small breasts, so there's not much to hold the dress up.

#3 tvt

tvt
      • VIP Member
      • 4,812 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

I think that is totally normal. All girls in strapless wedding dresses, that I've seen, have a gap.

#4 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
        • 4,979 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

Well, I might be useless since i haven't even bought my dress, but what the heck! lol
          How big is the space? I think you should put on your dress and wear it around for like half an hour, sit down, walk around, dance - everything that you would do and see if you feel too sucked in or restricted.
          Is it an incredibly noticable space?
          Happily Married since May 9, 2008
          Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#5 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
          • VIP Member
          • 11,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

I was uncomfortable with the initial alteration on my gown - I felt like I was going to fall out if I leaned over. So, my seamstress sewed very strong elastic into the sides of the inside of the top of the bodice. It worked out perfectly. It fit snugly, so I felt secure, but a had some give so I didn't feel like I was suffocating.

To show you the difference, here is a pic pre-elastic:
            Click the image to open in full size.

And then final product:
            Click the image to open in full size.

#6 soulmates

soulmates
            • 538 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

My dress is strapless. I have no room whatsoever. I would definitely ask her if she could fix it. I barely have room to breath, but I would much rather feel snug then have it loose and feel like I have to keep pulling it up....

#7 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 6,996 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

I HATE it when people wear strapless dresses and are constantly yanking them up. For that reason, I'd at least do what Christa did and ask her to add some elastic.

#8 soulmates

soulmates
                • 538 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by AQHARIDER
                  I HATE it when people wear strapless dresses and are constantly yanking them up. For that reason, I'd at least do what Christa did and ask her to add some elastic.
                  I have to agreed. That bothers me as well. Because we all not that not comfortable. Especially haveing to do it in front of everyone.

#9 tvt

tvt
                  • VIP Member
                  • 4,812 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

I like the elastic idea.

I think it also depends on how high your dress comes up if there is space or not.

Do you have a picture??

#10 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
                    • VIP Member
                    • 11,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by AQHARIDER
                      EXACTLY!! I didn't want to deal with that & I didn't want people to have to see me deal with that..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users