Need honest reaction

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MikkiStreak

• VIP Member
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

Ok, you know how all the wording templates for invites have some cute little 1-2 line phrase at the top/beginning before plunging into the heart of the invite? Well, most of the ones I saw weren't really "us". Frank writes a lot of songs and poemfrom one of the cards he gave ms for me/us, so I'm thinking of using this phrase instead (it's something he wrote inside a card he gave me last year).

But I want honest opinions on this---- what would your reaction be if you received an invite that started with this: "I'll love you til we're old and grey... until our minds slip away..."

Mind you, this is going out to mostly people our own age--- immediate family who know what we're like and friends who know how to take it. But, then we have the extended family it would be sent to--- mostly older generation, uptight, formal and slightly 'backwards.'

#2 LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:03 PM

i think it's cute, and if it reflects your personality, i say go for it! i'm all about adding personal touches - if someone is offended, that's their issue (IMO!)

#3 laura b

laura b
      • 334 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

I like it. It's not that formal, so yeah, the older crowd might not be that comfortable with it, but I say do what you want. I have a quote from J.D. Salinger on our wedding website:"I was about half in love with her by the time we sat down. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are." and all the older folks hate it.
        Actually, the FH does too, but I love it.
        Anyway, point being, do what you want. I think the quote is sweet.

#4 *JillD*

• 5,112 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:18 PM

I think its cute, I would probably pee myself if I read that when I opened the invitation, I think its funny!

#5 acano1

• 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

I think it's cute and funny. I don't know if I would use it, but if it fits your personality then I say go for it. I say do whatever you want especially since it has sentimental value.

#6 Jessica

• VIP Member
            • 11,939 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:24 PM

i'd do it. i think it's a geat line. however, i am not a big follower of rules or tradition and miss manners i am not!

#7 CourtneyV

• 4,979 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:26 PM

lol Maria I think its awesome!!! That's so clever. If I received that in the mail I'd laugh, definately. I think even my grandparents would! lol
                Happily Married since May 9, 2008
                Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#8 starchild

• Moderators
                • 26,161 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

I love it. Don't worry about the old folks, some of them may even get a chuckle out of it. It's fun to make wedding stuff your own where you can so go for it!

#9 Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 6,996 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

Maria, I think the saying is cute. And, if your friends are mostly younger and know your personality I think they'd "get it".

My honest opinion: I know that my grandmother would be offended, because of my grandfather's dementia. If you don't have any of that in your family, then it's probably ok- or, since some of your family is so batty that you don't care what they think (I'm thinking of the person- was it an aunt?- that wrote that nasty letter to you guys ahile back), do it anyway...

With that said- what type of invites are you doing? Are you having them printed, or are you doing something DIY that you could easily make two different "batches" of invitations. I made two types of invites based on whether or not I thought the people were attending the wedding. You could make one set to send to your friends and family that know and appreciate your personality and the sense of humor you and Frank share. You could send the other set to the distant relatives, and uptight people that you would be worried about adding fuel to the fire! lol

#10 tvt

• VIP Member
                    • 4,812 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:47 AM

I think it's great!!! I would totally laugh as I read the invite!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users