Gift Wording

• 2 months later...

Well ladies, I need some serious help. I attempted to start a new thread but stupid me doesn't know how!! Now about these gifts. I also do not want to be lugging gifts back from Mexico. Another dilemma (sp?) I have is that both my FI and I live on our own and have more than enough of everything! We literally need nothing. I did include that on my website I created. Hopefully people will get the hint. However I know my guests will want to give something to us so I was contemplating signing up with honeyluna.com or something similar and creating my entire honeymoon where people could give monetary gifts by clicking on different activities, airfare, etc. They are basically all chipping in helping us pay for our honeymoon. Has anyone seen this cool idea? Check it out. I saw some samples and was impressed by the way it was broken up into categories. Would it be tacky to put on my website not to bring money, gift cards, or GIFTS to Mexico. I could say something like: "Due to safety, possible tax issues, and overall inconvenience, please do not bring gifts of any kind to Mexico. We would not want to risk something happening to them. Your presence is present enough (yes I stole that one). If you do wish to purchase something, please send it to (provide address) or go to honeyluna.com for choices."

Is this way too tacky?? Also, if you feel this needs to be in its own separate thread, feel free to move it if you know how!!!

Thanks

If you use a honeymoon registry as you mentioned, you could just add a little item at the bottom saying "Cards can be received at...." and include your address.

I would say also that it's probably better to have a registry of some kind than nothing at all. You could also do a charitable donation registry, or fun items on a retail registry. For example, we're doing a honeymoon registry, but also Target for fun things like camping gear, little items that are aged and will need to be replaced soon at home, and our final registry will be Bed, Bath, and Beyond because you can exchange presents for cash there....

Personally, yes I think it's a bit tacky. Even though you've stated that gifts aren't necessary, I think some guests might feel obligated to get one anyways if you include "registry" information. Personally, I'd start thinking that other people will be getting gifts for the bride and groom, so maybe I should.. etc. If people really want to, they'll ask at which point you (or your bridal party or family) can let them know the alternative.

If you want a separate thread, I can move it - but I think this is a perfect spot for this... unless you want to post about the honeymoon site. You can go to the honeymoon part of the forum, and at the top left of that page there will be a "new thread" button. :) It's a cute site, and worth posting wink.gif

Ok, I missed the part where you had put in about having everything you need in order for people to not buy presents.

But, I don't know---- in general, a registry is a good idea in order to prevent getting unwanted items that you can't return/exchange. And from all the stuff I've read, the website and shower invites are supposed to be the perfect place to include that information. The only big "no" that I've seen in etiquette articles has been to never include it in your invites.

MikkiStreak,

You mentioned having a honeymoon site. Are you doing what I mentioned where people give monetary gifts such as contributions to airfare, sunset dinners, cool excursions, etc.? If so, may we speak about this further either here or privately? I need help in setting something up and knowing which site to go through since most charge service fees.

Also, GREAT TIP about Bed, Bath, and Beyond!! Are you positive gifts can be exchanged for cashhuh.gif Sounds too good to be true but if that's the case, that makes it simple for me to decide where to register. Should I just include that place plus a possible honeymoon website and be done?

How would that sound or does it still sound like we expect gifts?

Can I put it on my website or just the bridal shower invitation (of course not the actual wedding invitation!!---my mother already had that talk with me).

Thank you everyone!!

I did that on my web site- I worded it different... Check it out if you like.. after you click the thread then skip intro and go to registry on left hand side.

I was requested to have a registry from a ton of family who couldn't come to the wedding but told people who are coming not to buy a gift.

• VIP Member

OK, I think what you wrote up is great... except stop at "presents enough." It's considered bad etiquette to include any registry info. Instead, properly arm your family and bridesmaids with the information on the honeymoon website (which I think is a fantastic idea).