• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 KLC77

KLC77
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:07 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BachataBride
    My family and a lot of my friends (including my MOH) are in another province so I will not be having a shower since I will not be "home" before the wedding. (I also don't really agree with them personally) I do have friends here in ON that are taking it upon themselves (even though they can't make it to the wedding) to throw me a bachelorette party. I'm pretty excited - it's next Saturday!!! Maybe you could have a bachelorette or a girls day/night instead of calling it a shower.
    I agree. The word 'Shower' is what is causing the problem. If you call it something else then all of those rules go out the window! I think that like others have said 'shower' equals gifts. Party, get together, celebration... none of those things automatically equal gifts. Have a girls night out and celebrate or have lunch/ brunch at your favorite restaurants! Just don't call it a shower.
    ~Kelly

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#12 Kits55

Kits55
    • 607 posts
    • Wedding Location:Secrets Maroma Beach
    • LocationRiviera Maya, Mexico

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

Hi Ladies:

Thank you all so much for your input. I'm going to share this information with my friends/family who have asked to throw me a "shower", now to be called a "celebration".

I may suggest to those in MN and NE that we wait for the receptions and maybe they can help host the receptions. We're not sure if we'll have a reception in Kansas City so perhaps my friend will still hold a small celebration. Her idea was to have lunch at home so the plan was to always have a small one.

Thanks again!

#13 ccarmany23

ccarmany23
    • 138 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

I love the advice on here and wish that I would have seen it a few weeks ago :). I ran into the same issue (almost all of invitees were not local but local folks wanted to throw me a "shower"), and kept trying to figure how to celebrate and have a ladies day but not hurt anyone's feelings. I asked around a lot about this and got different advice each time from former brides:) ... so it is definitely a tricky issue but I see no reason of why you can't celebrate with friends/family , especially if you are doing a destination or smaller wedding. I was invited to a friends shower and not invited to destination wedding, and didn't hurt my feelings at all...I think people understand but that's just my thoughts :).

In the end, I told those hosting mine that it would be ok to invite some girls that were not invited to the wedding as long as it was stressed that I really just wanted to hang out and get some girls time, rather than a shower "ie gifts" (because that is sooo what I meant but I'm afraid it won't be interpreted that way!!). But I was really torn about it!!!! I wish I would have had the idea to tell them to refer to it more as a celebration...lol. Well- it's this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users