Photo

Doing your own vows / sand ceremony in English??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Angela139

Angela139
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:43 PM

Hi Ladies!

I understand that the ceremony in the DR must be said in spanish in order for it to be legal. that's fine, I can live with that - BUT I want to do our own vows in English, and do a sand ceremony in English too. Has anyone else done this? How did it turn out? I'm worried about the duplication between the vows, and whether it will look stupid to say two sets of them... I'm also wondering who to get to do the sand ceremony in english, as the officiator at my resort only speaks spanish (the wedding coordinator apparently translates the ceremony simultaneously). Does any one have any experience with this? Ideas and/or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Angela :)

#2 MsSunshine

MsSunshine
    • 415 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

I think it would be great to have a family member perform the sand ceremony. It would be extra special.

#3 Angela139

Angela139
      • 455 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

That is such a great idea! I hadn't even thought of it, thanks :) It might also be a nice way to involve my future mother in law in the ceremony (she REALLY wants to be)

#4 saraece

saraece
        • 289 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Well I personally think I would be fine to do both, that's our plan. We checked with our hotel and they said that there would be time for us to say our own vows around the ring exchange. I don't think any of our guests even speak spanish so they wouldn't know if we are repeating anything the minister said. Go for it!
          Like our first kiss all over again

#5 Angela139

Angela139
          • 455 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:08 PM

Saraece, my guests don't speak Spanish either, but are you not having your ceremony translated simultaneously?

#6 Christinamaria22

Christinamaria22
            • 358 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

Yah I am having my sister do my sand ceremony if I decide to go with it.... and as for the vows who cares make it unique....... it will lengthen it a bit too

#7 saraece

saraece
              • 289 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Angela139
                Saraece, my guests don't speak Spanish either, but are you not having your ceremony translated simultaneously?
                I guess I hadn't even thought of having it translated at the ceremony. I am asking for a copy of it that I will get translated just for me, but I think our own personal vows are what mean more to me.
                Like our first kiss all over again

#8 BachataBride

BachataBride
                • Banned
                • 9,310 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

Sara, when you get a copy of the ceremony can you send it my way?? Or are you getting it once down there??

Sorry for the hijack!

#9 Riu Mambo Bride to be

Riu Mambo Bride to be
                  • 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

Please meeee too, any information on how you've been informed it will take place will definetly be a huge help!!!! Fortunetly for me we have some spanish speaking guests and have already asked them if they would be able to translate for us if infact the ceremony was performed in spanish...
                    RIU MAMBO BRIDE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users