Photo

what exactly does semi-formal mean?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 happygilmore

happygilmore
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

Okay, I just paid for our $165 room (this is only for 1 night) for my FI's friends wedding which is New Years Eve (didn't really have the $$ to do this but if we didn't go we'd never hear the end of it!)

So anyway they are having a cocktail event (no dinner just hor'orderves) and are requesting semi-formal attire.

So what does this mean I usually wear nice black dress pants and a nice top for evening weddings, especially cause this is during the winter in Vermont but now I don't know if this will be enough! And what does semi-formal mean for FI - just dress pants, shirt and tie?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:31 AM

i'd think it means cocktail dress. i'd dress new years eve-y. then put a long coat over it for when you are outside.

#3 Cattie

Cattie
      • 594 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

Yeah I agree with Morgan. Dark suit and tie for the FI and a cocktail dress for yourself.

Check Marshalls and TJ Maxx if you have them near you, you can normally pick up a really nice dress cheap if you have the patience.

#4 tylersgirl

tylersgirl
        • 1,681 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

I would say the same as Cattie and Morgan. Cocktail dress for sure and suit for FI. You can always add a coat or a pair of trendy looking stockings to your dress to stay warm.

#5 happygilmore

happygilmore
          • 576 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Okay ladies, what do you think of this? Semi-formal enough? I am hoping so cause it is in my price range, looks cute and comfy!

Women's & Men's Clothes: Plus Size, Maternity, Baby & Kid's Clothing | Old Navy

#6 Cattie

Cattie
            • 594 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

I would say so. Just bling it up a bit with some sexy heals and jewelry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users