Few questions about hair extensions-

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
  • VIP Member
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:33 AM

I wanted to get one length extensions, about 6-7 inches or so longer than my hair now. My bro is a stylist but don't know much about extensions so I thought I'd ask you guys.

What is the best type to get?
    Do they damage hair?
    How long do they hold in for?
    Do you shampoo like normal?

#2 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 9,532 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

I've had Great Lengths extensions twice. They last about 6 months but I had mine taken out after 4 months both times because they got too annoying and I didn't want to bother getting them "cleaned up." They didn't ruin my hair at all but they get to be a big pain in the butt since you have to always style your hair if you don't want the bonds to show through. i.e. you can't have a lazy day and put your hair in a ponytail without seeing all of the extensions around your head. The only way to be lazy really is to wear a hat.

If I were to get them again I think I'd look into the clip-in ones (but get them made/done professionally) because the real ones are a big commitment and they get pretty annoying! But they do look good :)

#3 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 9,532 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Oh, and you do shampoo like normal but you have to use a special brush to brush your hair. At least with Great Lengths you do.

Hope that helps :)

#4 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
        • 456 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

I have to agree with Heather....I would try the clip-ons (but have a professional put them in!!)
          D & K
          October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

#5 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 10,366 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

Jacqueline, I have had them a couple times. I worked at a salon still though so when one came out, I just got it put back in, lol

What is the best type to get? definitely real hair, you will want to be able to blow dry it/curl it just like your own hair
            Do they damage hair? If you don't want your hair damaged, then IMHO have them glued in and not braided and sewed, I have seen a lot of girls hair damaged from this
            How long do they hold in for? this really depends on how much you shampoo. I am an avid have to shampoo and blow dry my hair on a daily basis. So, mine were in like 2 weeks, but I also had a lot of long hair put in, so it was heavy and I was done with it by then anyway
            Do you shampoo like normal? I did, but mine also came out from tugging, etc

#6 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
            • VIP Member
            • 3,160 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

hm thx girls!

im leaning toward the gluing them in option. my hair is super thick and so i dont shampoo every day. prob 2-3 times a week. i wish sewing them in wouldnt kill my hair but im just afraid. i never heard of the clip in ones but ill have to ask the hair dresser bout them...

#7 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 9,532 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

In my opinion, with Great Lengths (glued in), you can't really not shampoo your hair. Maybe this is just me because my hair is thin, but when I woke up every morning my hair was pretty flat and you could see the bonds everywhere. I had to shower and blow-dry to cover up the bonds. But if your hair is thicker maybe you won't have this issue...

#8 Yari

Yari
                • VIP Member
                • 10,928 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

I got glue ones on Saturday.

I have a pic on the other extensions post.

They are heavy and your head hurts a little, but then it goes away in one day.

I am starting to get use to them. It was hard for me to style my hair this morning, but I will be a pro in know time.

They used real hair and keratin glue.

I can't believe I have mermaid hair now!

#9 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
                  • VIP Member
                  • 3,160 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Yari
                    I got glue ones on Saturday.

I have a pic on the other extensions post.

They are heavy and your head hurts a little, but then it goes away in one day.

I am starting to get use to them. It was hard for me to style my hair this morning, but I will be a pro in know time.

They used real hair and keratin glue.

I can't believe I have mermaid hair now!
                    shoot i didnt realize there was a post on extensions already. sorry :o(

yari i saw your pix, SO cute. i am going to see how much they are where my bro works

#10 Yari

Yari
                    • VIP Member
                    • 10,928 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

Thanks! I want to style it cute tomorrow, today I sort of look like a beachy tousled mermaid. LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users