My Marriage Certificate Whats Next

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LOTTALUV92

LOTTALUV92
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

HELLO LADIES IM BACK FROM JAMAICA AS A MARRIED WOMAN MRS RUSSELL,
    My new question is ... do i advise my home state marriage bureau of our marriage,? if anyone has any information please inform me, so i can start changing my documents.. i have a loy of details of my wedding in my future forum,thanks.

#2 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 12,193 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by LOTTALUV92
      HELLO LADIES IM BACK FROM JAMAICA AS A MARRIED WOMAN MRS RUSSELL,
      My new question is ... do i advise my home state marriage bureau of our marriage,? if anyone has any information please inform me, so i can start changing my documents.. i have a loy of details of my wedding in my future forum,thanks.
      You don't have to notify the state of your marriage. You can use your temporary certificate or you can wait until you get your official license in the mail to change your impt documents, such as your drivers license & social security card.

Because I really don't use my credit cards, I was able to use my temporary certificate as proof as marriage & change my names on those. But you'll need the official license to change your drivers license, bank accounts & social security cards.

You can also take a look here:
      http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t26306

#3 LOTTALUV92

LOTTALUV92
      • 56 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

Thank you for the information, very helpful to me. how about when i file income taxes?

#4 Erica053009

Erica053009
        • 513 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

I am confused too on how we let the state/city know we are married and is it legal in the US?

#5 AmandaR

AmandaR
          • 241 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by LOTTALUV92 View Post
            Thank you for the information, very helpful to me. how about when i file income taxes?
            Do you mean how to document your name change for tax purposes? I think that changing your name on your SSC and at your job so that your name is correct on your W-2 would suffice. At least I hope so, since that is all that I did!

Amanda

#6 AmandaR

AmandaR
            • 241 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Erica053009 View Post
              I am confused too on how we let the state/city know we are married and is it legal in the US?
              Marriages in Jamaica are legal in the US. There's no need to register your marriage in the city/state. Your marriage is recorded in Jamaica.

To help set your mind at ease, you could always have a civil ceremony here in the U.S. either before or after your Jamaican wedding to make sure all your bases are covered. We had a civil ceremony here before our actual wedding because DH lost his job and needed to be on my insurance ASAP. When we got our marriage license in PA, the clerk acted like she'd never heard of anyone having a marriage ceremony in Jamaica!

Amanda

#7 jcmoon

jcmoon
              • 24 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

I have seen websites advertizing that do all the paperwork for you.
                As anyone ever tried these?
                I am curious if it is a good idea?
                Thanks

#8 RastaBride

RastaBride
                • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

Just need a bit of clarification...

So the actual paper you take home with you from RIU stating 'certified copy of marriage register' will be ok to change you name at SS office? or do I need to wait 6-8 weeks to get the official copy from RIU mailed to me before I attempt to change my name?

Thanks!
                  kelly

#9 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 12,193 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by RastaBride
                    Just need a bit of clarification...

So the actual paper you take home with you from RIU stating 'certified copy of marriage register' will be ok to change you name at SS office? or do I need to wait 6-8 weeks to get the official copy from RIU mailed to me before I attempt to change my name?

Thanks!
                    kelly
                    Just to be on the safe side, I'd wait to get the official copy from Riu. I waited until I got the official copy before I changed my name on my SS card. But, if your local SS office isn't very crowded & the lines aren't extremely long, you can always go & try to use the certified copy that you already have. Maybe they will allow that. But then again, they may want the official copy because it has the seal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users