Photo

Snow Flower and The Secret Fan BC Discussion #5

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Birdie07

Birdie07
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

I don't know if everyone is done. But some of us are. So I thought we'd open for discussion. If you're not done don't worry we'll wait for you!

So I'll go first. I LOVED this book. I took it on a 4 hour road trip to the boonies and finished right as we pulled in the driveway. The last part of the trip I was bawling. I love the idea of an old-same. I feel like me and my best friend are like this. Except for a fan we text. Haha! I love the insight we got into China. The foot binding, the marriages and such. Though the foot binding is so cruel. I could never do that! OW! All in all I think it was a very good book and very inspiring.

#2 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
    • 4,881 posts
    • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
    • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
    • LocationNew York

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

I LOVED it!!! I loved the story, I loved the imagery, all of it.

I cried like a baby, too.

My best friend's parents are from China - she's a bit disconnected from the really Chinese side of the culture, but she says that the different areas really had different traditions, processes, etc.

The stories of the footbindings - especially the breaking just about had me sick, though.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#3 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:47 AM

I totally loved it too! I laughed and cried, it was a great read. It's amazing how much tradition is a part of every aspect of their lives. Can you imagine having to cater to your MIL and place her above your children? Or having to stay up in the women's area? Wow!

In 9th grade I first learned of the foot-binding process and it is almost unreal to imagine the pain they went through! I don't want to post pics here but if anyone wants to see what the book described so vividly here are some pics. I googled this as I was reading to get an idea of what happens and you can see how sick it is...

More Cool Pictures: Foot Binding (Warning:graphic)

Oh, and I love the old same idea too! Crazy how the tables turned as they grew up, right? Snow Flower's MIL was a beast!

#4 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Has anybody else finished?

#5 Birdie07

Birdie07
        • 1,218 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

I know this discussion didn't make it very far. Are we wiping our hands and want a new book??

#6 Yari

Yari
          • VIP Member
          • 10,928 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

I just finished it, sorry it took me so long.

It was a very good book.

Jamy thanks for posting the pics of the how a foot looks after binding. In my mind the foot just looked smaller not so deformed, I am shocked. How can they think that looks attractive? It is so sad.

It was so interesting how they lived their lives.

I like the idea on an old same to, but was sort of put off by the lesbianish thoughts...like how they touched their bodies and stuff.

#7 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
            • 26,161 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:04 PM

I know Yari, they look crazy!! How that was beauty I don't know...pretty darn disgusting imo.

#8 Birdie07

Birdie07
              • 1,218 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by starchild
                I know Yari, they look crazy!! How that was beauty I don't know...pretty darn disgusting imo.
                Ugh! I know. I had to google it and see some pics. And really men find that attractive??

#9 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                • 26,161 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by CaliaA07
                  Ugh! I know. I had to google it and see some pics. And really men find that attractive??
                  It's pretty unbelievable...they are prized for being deformed. And the pain I cannot even imagine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users