Photo

Addressing Envelopes - Invitation Etiquette - HELP!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 neen

neen
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

So my invitation is 7 1/4 x 7 1/4 and the largest envelope I've found is 7 1/2 x 7 1/2...so I don't think I can even do an inner envelope.

So to the etiquette police, how bad is it not to include an inner envelope? We don't have any of those tricky issues of "& Guest" so I don't see a need for it, but FI doesn't want it too look like we were too cheap to buy the inner envelope...HELP!

#12 neen

neen
    • 633 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

sorry...duplicate post

#13 Amarillis

Amarillis
      • 1,913 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

I did mine in a real mixed bag - depending on whom it was going to...

People who were married were generally

Mr & Mrs Robert Doe

then there are some guests whom I knew this would upset b/c of the women's liberation movement so they read

Mr & Mrs Robert and Jane Doe

Then there are those that were for families,

for the most part they were addressed to
        The Doe Family

but... in the case of some blended families (where the kids don't all have the same last name)

Mr and Mrs Robert Doe
        &
        Leah, Alex, and Seth

awkward - but you need a solution

If people were living together I put

Robert Doe and Jane Smith

but if they were dating and not living together they received separate invites addressed to their respective locations and we instituted the + guest rule. So it would be
        Jane Smith and Guest

We did them on a case by case basis. You know your guests and will generally know how this would be accepted.

There are so many different living situations, that a blanket rule is far too difficult.

#14 OROBride1008

OROBride1008
        • 417 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

I'm not having an inner envelope either and on the outter envelope if I know their name it will get printed, if not it is guest. I'm not too worried about it, they are just going to throw the envelope away.

#15 Samantha S

Samantha S
          • 369 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:22 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by neen
            So to the etiquette police, how bad is it not to include an inner envelope? We don't have any of those tricky issues of "& Guest" so I don't see a need for it, but FI doesn't want it too look like we were too cheap to buy the inner envelope...HELP!
            To the 'green' police its a beautiful thing that you're not including an inner envelope. :-)

#16 hat0112

hat0112
            • 1,219 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

Ok, so I need to bump this!

So my FI and I decided that we are not using an inner envelope for the invitations. We plan on “& guest” for all my single guests on the outer envelope, but I am having an issue doing with my older Aunts and cousins (either single or windowed). I don’t want them to think that they don’t get a guest, but they are very old school and I might here it from them if I put “& guest” on the outer envelope. Funny thing is none of them will probably go.

Has anyone gotten and grief or complaints when they put “& guest” on the outer envelope on their invites?
              Wedding 10/22/10 Westin Aruba

I love being a Mrs.!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users