Photo

Addressing Envelopes - Invitation Etiquette - HELP!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Opice34

Opice34
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hi!

We are doing a pocketfold invitation, and since it is more casual, we are not doing an inner envelope. My question is how to you let people know exactly who is invited? For example, how do the single people get "and guested"?

I think usually the outer envelope would say Ryan Jones 123 Main St, Austin, TX and the inner envelop would say Ryan Jones and Guest. Correct? What do you do if you don't have an inner envelope?

And also, how do we let people know that their kids are invited? Do we just say the Robert Newman Family? Or Robert Newman & Family? Or The Newman Family?

I don't know how to do this when you're only using one envelope! Has anyone had similiar issues?

TIA!

#2 Virg

Virg
    • 684 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

Great Question! I am interested to see the responses!
      Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
      Made it legal : June 30, 2009

http://i37.photobuck....h_IMG_8136.jpg

#3 Chiquita

Chiquita
      • 2,674 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

I would just put on the outer envelope.. so and so and guest.. or robert newman and family. I'm sure if they have a question they would ask you right? Hopefully they would.. heh

#4 Yari

Yari
        • VIP Member
        • 10,928 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

If I knew the name of the guest I would write their name underneath, for example.

Wendy Forst
          Jack Tolk

Now if I didn't know their guest's name I didn't write anything. For families, I wrote out:

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ford and Family

I hope this helps.

#5 JennyK

JennyK
          • 3,502 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

I did put "& Guest" on the outer envelope.. is that wrong?

#6 Erica053009

Erica053009
            • 513 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

I am not having an inner envelope either so I am doing it the same way I did my eparty invites. On the outer envelope I would put the and guest Mr Ryan Jones and guest .if you know they are dating someone serious I would get the guest first and last name Mr. Ryan Jones & Ms. Jen Smith DW's are more intimate and personal and that will make the "and guest" feel part of the group. For the families I am doing Mr.& Mrs. Ryan Jones and Family unless the kids are over 18 and I will be sending them their own invites, even if they still live at home. Hope this helps

#7 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 9,504 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

We did pocketfolds in a vellum envelope.

I did use formal addresses, Dr. and Mrs. Donald Grimes or Mr. Michael Jones and Guest. If I knew the guest's name I put both names on the envelope.

For families I was more casual and simply put The Smith Family.

No one complained and the etiquette police didn't come after me, so I guess we are ok! LOL

#8 Erica053009

Erica053009
                • 513 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by ErinB
                  We did pocketfolds in a vellum envelope.

I did use formal addresses, Dr. and Mrs. Donald Grimes or Mr. Michael Jones and Guest. If I knew the guest's name I put both names on the envelope.

For families I was more casual and simply put The Smith Family.

No one complained and the etiquette police didn't come after me, so I guess we are ok! LOL

My future mother in law is captain of the etiquette police if you get arrested for any other reason let me know and maybe I can help get you out of etiquette jail I hear it's painful in there :)

#9 Opice34

Opice34
                  • 414 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Thanks everyone!

I found some articles online and one said that it wasn't "proper" to use "and guest" on the outer envelope, but I say screw it. I don't know how else to solve this problem, so I'm doing it anyway. Besides, all of the young, single folk won't know what's going on anyway! I'm going to use proper titles for the old folks and just names for our friends. We'll see how this works!

Thanks!

#10 Carolyn

Carolyn
                    • 1,235 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

I always but & guest unless they been living in the same household. Friends parent got upset when she received and invit with boyfriends name on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users