Gas Savings without going hybrid...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikkiStreak

• VIP Member
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:04 PM

When I lived in Iowa, ethanol blended gas was very common. But here in the DFW area, ethanol blends are rarely found at gas stations. It was fairly common here in Texas before the 70's, but right around that time, it phased out of Texas and is harder to find now.

So, when Frank and I were over in Sachse this weekend, we noticed the Kroger fuel station has E85 ethanol blend as an option. Of course, it had the typical disclaimers about consulting the owners manual before using because E85 consists of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.

But, the price difference between ethanol blend and full gasoline is about $.40 per gallon. For us, it means a savings of $50/mo just by driving about 10 miles to Sachse to fill up both vehicles.

Many of the vehicles on the road today are already able to use this high of an ethanol blend fuel, without the owners even knowing about it. The interior of your gas door may indicate whether your vehicle can use an E85 fuel blend.

Here's the official DOE website information also:
    Flex Fuel Technology

Here's the specific page to see if your vehicle is FFV compatable:
    Make/Model Search

There are also tax credits for purchasing energy efficient vehicles, including FFV:
    Tax Incentives

Maintenance on FFV compatible autos is the same as non-energy efficient vehicles. So, while lifetime expenses on a hybrid can equal or exceed a regular gasoline vehicle, the FFV autos don't cost more than a gas vehicle, and you still get gas savings plus the tax credits. So you wind up saving money immediately and over the life of the vehicle.
    And, the other huge plus if you're environmentally aware---- ethanol blends have lower carbon and toxic emissions and is better for the environment also.

To locate a fuel station that uses E85 blends:
    E85 Energy Independence

#2 ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 9,504 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:35 PM

That is great information! Tip I've always heard were to keep your tank at over 50% full to increase fuel pressure and therefore use less. You should also check your tire pressure regularly.

#3 starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:09 AM

Interesting, thanks Maria!

My boss sent this memo around saying to get gas early in the morning before sun-up because the ground is cool so you get more gas and less vapors.
        More bang for your buck!

#4 kellywinter1

• 305 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

thanks for the tip!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users