Photo

How many wedding gifts did you receive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andreslove

andreslove
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

Let me start by saying that I'm not expecting to receive gifts, especially from the people who are actually traveling with us, but I know a few relatives and close friends will still send something. So, I was wondering how many gifts did you married gals actually receive? Was it from traveling guests or when you had your at home reception? Was it actual gifts or money? Just curious.

#2 Janet

Janet
    • VIP Member
    • 7,459 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

I have to admit that even though we had a smaller wedding, we still got a TON of gifts! It's almost embarrassing, honestly. I would say about 2/3 of the people who attended gave a gift (even though I told people not to, and mostly the ones who didn't get us something are my poor grad school friends). But lots of people who didn't attend gave gifts, either at my shower or just sent us something in the mail. And we got a little bit of money. We also got lots of gift cards.

Although I was prepared for smaller wedding = less gifts, i don't think this was the case. Perhaps this is because we invited 150 ppl and 55 people came?

#3 andreslove

andreslove
      • 227 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by JANET1111
        I have to admit that even though we had a smaller wedding, we still got a TON of gifts! It's almost embarrassing, honestly. I would say about 2/3 of the people who attended gave a gift (even though I told people not to, and mostly the ones who didn't get us something are my poor grad school friends). But lots of people who didn't attend gave gifts, either at my shower or just sent us something in the mail. And we got a little bit of money. We also got lots of gift cards.

Although I was prepared for smaller wedding = less gifts, i don't think this was the case. Perhaps this is because we invited 150 ppl and 55 people came?
        Thanks Janet. I didn't want to have to worry about traveling with additional items, but it sounds like that wasn't a problem for you. BTW - I love your pictures!

#4 Janet

Janet
        • VIP Member
        • 7,459 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

Oh yeah, the only gifts that people brought with them to Mexico were gift cards. Everything else came in the mail.

thanks for the compliment too :)

#5 KARLA

KARLA
          • 373 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

I would hope that guests use common sense and not bring a gift to Cabo. Especially now with the ease of online shopping and shipping. We did see a guy get on the Cabo flight, carrying one of those big Bed Bath and Beyond wedding gift bags onto the plane. SMART!

Luckily our friends were kind enough not to bring any gifts with them. I tried to subtley (sp?) spread the word that we did not expect gifts, and actually preferred that those guests that went to Cabo not even think of buying us gifts. Yet, many of our friends that went to Cabo still gave us gifts. Most of the gifts we received were from people we invited and could not attend.

Tim's parents held an AHR in Austin and that's where about 80% of our gifts came from. And did we get gifts!! We seriously replaced/upgraded almost all of our small kitchen appliances and all our dishes, silverware, glassware, sheets, towels, etc.... We registered because the alternative was receiving weird crap from the 300 people they invited. We got tons of money also. At first, we thought it was totally unecessary... but it is good to pick stuff out together and know that both of you like it. He hated my dishes, etc...

#6 JENGONDA9

JENGONDA9
            • 163 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

We didn't expect gifts either but have already received quite a few!! Many came from guests who came down although most have been from people who couldn't come.

The week before we left, we sent out a "Departure Update" where amongst other things, we politely asked our guests not to travel with gifts diue to customs, shipping costs and limited space in our luggage. Then we told them their presence was the best gift in the world and that we couldn't wait to share the memory with them. We got a couple cards but that was it. I suppose we will get a lot more at our recption in a couple weeks.
              Jen & Aaron
              January 13, 2007

#7 REBECCA

REBECCA
              • VIP Member
              • 1,825 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

About 2/3 of the people we invited sent wedding gits from our registry. A few came right after the STD went out. We were surprised! We also got a few cards with Checks at the wedding in Cabo and a few in the mail. We got around $1800 in checks and the rest was stuff from our registry.
                Rebecca
                <center>

http://i54.photobuck....a/IMG_1294.jpg
                Alexander & Juliette - Born 3/15/09</center>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users