• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#11 Bride010101

Bride010101
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielleNDerek
    for the girls getting married legally in US, did you tell anybody? I would just feel so awful if my guests found out, i wouldn't want them to think that they were paying to go to a "fake wedding", even though to me and fi it would be are real wedding. Am I just being nervous about nothing?
    We weren't going to tell anyone except our parents... but a lot of people have asked us so we have just been honest and everyone knows. ((Most people ask because FI is Canadian... and everyone wonders if it will be "legal" and/or interfere w/ his citizenship stuff))

We follow up w/ it and tell everyone that our Jamaica wedding will always be our real wedding and the day we will use for anniversary purposes. Everyone has been super understanding and say it makes sense. I don't think anyone really cares - they will be celebrating with us and thats all that matters.

#12 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
    • VIP Member
    • 18,452 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

I'm glad to hear you girls say that.

And Becky, that's great that a lot of your guests now and don't care. They understand how you consider the DW your real wedding.

You girls are making feel so much better, i will stop freaking out now. i'm such a spazz.
      ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
      Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
      Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#13 melody

melody
      • 236 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Why don't you sign the papers with the judges to make it legal @ 1pm and have a symbolic ceremony at a later time? I remember talking to my wedding coordinator @Excellence and she suggested doing the symbolic ceremony and the legal ceremony with the Judge at a different time. Don't know about the other resorts, but I know Excellence did not charge extra. It was just a courtesy because the judge had such a busy schedule.

#14 HawaiianBride2008

HawaiianBride2008
        • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:06 PM

Hello Everyone,
          I'm getting married at 3pm in Hawaii and I don't really mind. They didn't have a later slot and the latest was 5pm. So I'm okay.

#15 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:10 PM

I was worried about it too. But, now I'm glad we decided to do it this way. We told our parents & they totally approved. I also told a few friends. No one sounded at all judgy. We are telling anyone who asked that we are taking care of the paperwork before we go.

Originally we planned it this way so it would be simpler & cheaper. We are saving about $1000, don't have to worry with the legal stuff, and can personalize our ceremony how we want.

Now, I'm excited about it instead of just thinking of it as cheaper & easier. I know the day of the wedding I'll be so busy talking to all our guests and so worn out that night. So marriage day will be all about me & Mike. We get so excited talking about it. I'm going to wear a simple white dress & we'll go to the courthouse in the morning. Then we will honeymoon the rest of the day. We also plan to go to a Mexican restaurant that evening :) I also like that I put him completely in charge. He'll probably come through with some romantic plans.

When we first started planning it I thought we'd try to make it as uneventful as possible so it wouldn't take away from the wedding day. Now we want to make it it's own special day.

#16 melody

melody
            • 236 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:12 PM

Hawaiian bride

When and where are you getting married? 3pm is not so bad it allows you time to have your pictures taken before sunset which is early.

#17 HawaiianBride2008

HawaiianBride2008
              • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

Melody:
                Were getting married on August 15, 2008 in the Halekulani Hotel it's located on the island of Oahu. I was hoping to take some nice sunset pictures.

Jess

#18 sunnydaes

sunnydaes
                • 684 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

I thought i read somewhere that if you paid more you could get the judge to come at the time you requested...have you looked into that?

#19 melody

melody
                  • 236 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:33 PM

Jess

If you cannot take sunset pics that day, maybe you can schedule a sunset session the following day...it happens all the time.

#20 twinkletoes

twinkletoes
                    • 2,302 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Morgan
                      I was worried about it too. But, now I'm glad we decided to do it this way. We told our parents & they totally approved. I also told a few friends. No one sounded at all judgy. We are telling anyone who asked that we are taking care of the paperwork before we go.

Originally we planned it this way so it would be simpler & cheaper. We are saving about $1000, don't have to worry with the legal stuff, and can personalize our ceremony how we want.

Now, I'm excited about it instead of just thinking of it as cheaper & easier. I know the day of the wedding I'll be so busy talking to all our guests and so worn out that night. So marriage day will be all about me & Mike. We get so excited talking about it. I'm going to wear a simple white dress & we'll go to the courthouse in the morning. Then we will honeymoon the rest of the day. We also plan to go to a Mexican restaurant that evening :) I also like that I put him completely in charge. He'll probably come through with some romantic plans.

When we first started planning it I thought we'd try to make it as uneventful as possible so it wouldn't take away from the wedding day. Now we want to make it it's own special day.
                      That sounds really special. I think maybe I'll put my FI in charge of the 'paperwork day'. It could be very memorable. Great idea :~)
                      2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users