Photo

is there such thing as NON-DROWSY DRAMAMINE?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 dc22173

dc22173
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:22 AM

I normally get motion sickness but I have been able to go on 4 cruises by just taking Bonine every day. I take it once a day in the morning and I am good for the rest of the day. Have not had any problems with getting drowsy and I can drink and party all I want.

#12 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
    • 4,881 posts
    • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
    • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
    • LocationNew York

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

The problem with Dramamine is that it's an anti-histamine (like benadryl), so if an anti-histamine makes you sleepy, Dramamine is going to do exactly the same.

Bonine (meclazine) gets mixed results - it's a histamine receptor blocker (pretty much the same as an antihistamine). My best friend swears by it, but if I even see the box, I'm out cold. Also, it enhances the effects of alcohol, so if you're drinking and taking bonine, you're going to be really sleepy.

Check with your MD, or try the bracelets. Or, if you're not really that prone to motion sickness, just keep some bread or other starchy food around and if you get a little ooky, eat something.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#13 Jackie

Jackie
    • 2,290 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Christa
      Hehehe, definitely avoid Dramamine & less drowsy Dramamine where there is alcohol involved. A good friend of mine took 2 Dramamine prior to a sunset WINE TASTING cruise & passed the F out on the boat. Not good!
      Yup, thats exactly what I am picturing will happen! Its nice to see you Christa I hope everything is well on your end :)

Quote:
      Originally Posted by becks
      The problem with Dramamine is that it's an anti-histamine (like benadryl), so if an anti-histamine makes you sleepy, Dramamine is going to do exactly the same.

Bonine (meclazine) gets mixed results - it's a histamine receptor blocker (pretty much the same as an antihistamine). My best friend swears by it, but if I even see the box, I'm out cold. Also, it enhances the effects of alcohol, so if you're drinking and taking bonine, you're going to be really sleepy.

Check with your MD, or try the bracelets. Or, if you're not really that prone to motion sickness, just keep some bread or other starchy food around and if you get a little ooky, eat something.
      Thanks for the advice I think I'm better off trying to get the bracelet. It sounds like it just depends on the person, and for some reason I feel like I would be the "falling asleep" type.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by nylalany
      I've taken non-drowsy dramamine (or something starting with a B) but it was DEFINITELY "less drowsy" and coupled with a couple drinks it was actually "fall asleep" drowsy.
      I've also used the bracelet thing and it seemed to work but maybe that boat trip was on calmer seas.
      I've heard the patch works for some people but I know people have had allergic reactions to it so I'd test it first.
      Not good at all, drinks do enough on their own, I dont need to magnify the effects of alcohol for me or any of my guests. YIKES!
      My Dreams Cabo Wedding Review
      http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t22576

#14 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
      • VIP Member
      • 4,791 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

Bonine (meclazine)

I think I have a prescription for that but I've actually never tried it...

~ Jaime & Martin ~
        "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#15 Duchess

Duchess
        • 358 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by RyanAmanda
          I saw a thing on mythbusters about ginger root pills. I feel asleep before the end but it seems to work for most people.

Sorry I don't know much more...maybe try googling Ginger Root Pill?
          Ginger is awesome. I saw that mythbusters too. My ex ran out and got some of this, and we used it all the time. I am currently dealing with a bout of something not sure what...and was contemplating taking these, but they are pretty old now. But it does really work. Same concept behind ginger ale. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users