"The Marriage Experience"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alyssa

• 11,793 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:17 AM

My FI's mom is a marriage counselor and recommends this program. It is a one day program and they do it all over the country - it is recommended for engaged couples, newly married (under 2 years) and up to 7 years of marriage. They are coming to Philly June 7th and FI and I registerd for the day program ($189) - they also have a weekend thing but that is like $1200 and a little more than we are into.

I thought I would share since everyone on here is either engaged or newly married and it seems we are the perfect demographic...

Engaging Discussions.com - HOME

Engaging Discussions Presents: The Marriage Experience The Marriage Experience is a dynamic one-day seminar geared toward couples that are engaged or newly married (less than seven years).

During the main program, Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott will address many critical issues that today’s couples face, such as:
    • Breaking the code of your two “Talk Styles”
    • How to fire up passion in the bedroom
    • How to fight a good fight
    • One action for resolving 90% of your stress together
    Following the Parrott’s program, the Hot Topics Forum (facilitated by Dave and Mary Gothi) will be tailored to each city’s needs according to a survey couples complete during registration.

At the conclusion of the event is ‘Date Night’, where attendees will enjoy a hilarious Dueling Piano/Comedy Show with Michael and Amy, who are not only amazingly talented but who are also married!

#2 lucy106

• 2,880 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

Oh wow!! Thank you so much for sharing! That sounds like a very important event to attend!!!

#3 Alyssa

• 11,793 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

i meant to inlcude what she said to me regarding her recommendation

"John Gottman is one of the leading researchers in the field. He also is very practical and has solid recommendations, based on research, for couples. I reference him ALL the time. I have read most of his stuff. My recommendation is that if you have the opportunity to go, it is well worth the time and expense."

#4 boscobel

• VIP Member
        • 24,213 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

Interesting. I am checking it out now...

#5 Janet

• VIP Member
          • 7,459 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:35 AM

sounds really cool -- will you report back on if it was worth it?

#6 Christine

• VIP Member
            • 21,514 posts
            • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
            • Wedding Location:Napa, California
            • LocationReno, NV

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

very cool, they have lots of tips on the blog too, that is nice
            Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#7 Jessica

• VIP Member
            • 11,939 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:53 AM

being in school for marriage and family therapy, i can also say that gottman is incredble in respects to this topic. i've modeled a lot of my techniques based on his programs, lecturers etc.

also check out this website:
              The Gottman Institute -

for more gottman information, research, workshops, etc.

#8 twinkletoes

• 2,302 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for sharing. It looks like they won't be in Atlanta until October (after our wedding), but that gives me plenty of time to convince my FI to go. :~)
                2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

#9 Alyssa

• 11,793 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:36 PM

I will definitely report back. FI's mom says it should be great!

#10 KarmaB

• 796 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:19 PM

Wow I want to go to this so bad. I'm a psychology major and I've heard so many great things about John Gottman.

The next one in Dallas isn't until Oct 25th. :-( Maybe I can try and talk Steve into flying into Chicago in May.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users