Photo

Dilemma - Hometown recption invites - Do we need them?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sm316217

sm316217
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

Here is my dilemma…. We are having a cruise ship wedding and we have several guests coming. We sent out invitations now, the cruise is in October. We were trying to eliminate costs by having a simple wedding but now the families who can not attend the wedding are upset so we are now having a hometown reception. We have a wedding website and we are having people RSVP to the wedding and hometown reception on it. I still think for the reception we need formal invitations sent to everyone that is invited and RSVP reply cards (not everyone has the internet to RSVP on the web). My fianc© thinks that this is a waste of money. I’m worried that if we don’t send the formal invitations 3 months before the reception and reply cards that we aren’t going to get an accurate count for the reception hall. The costs are getting high… and the US Post Office is going to love me this year. I just don’t know what to do. I already sent invites out for the cruise with a “Save the Date” for the reception. Do you think it is necessary to send new invites out for the reception? Not everyone on the guest list for the reception was invited formally to the cruise. So much postage... new invites, reply cards. What is a girl to do?

#2 thomastaci22

thomastaci22
    • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

I am having the same dilemma. However, I think I am going to go ahead with the invitations for the AHR, however they aren't going to be your typical "formal" wedding invitations. Instead, I think I am just going to get either wedding stationary or some type of party stationary and just print the script myself. Check out sites like eInvite - Browser Detection and www.papersource.com. They have some nice stationary for really cheap. Then for reply cards, I plan on just making reply postcards since postage is cheaper for postcards and you don't have to worry about the cost of the extra envelope. What type of reception are you having at home? Formal? Informal?

#3 lucy106

lucy106
      • 2,880 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

I am a bit of a freak when it comes to this so although some may not believe it is necessary I would send out the formal invites and RSVP cards for the AHR. Just gets and accurate count and makes it more official.

#4 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
        • Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

Yes I would send invites for the AHR but in your case only to the people who have for sure said no way are they going on the cruise. Sounds like you've covered the others with the STD for the AHR already.

#5 foxytv

foxytv
        • VIP Member
        • 7,740 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

Why not do postcard "reminders" leading up to the reception -- and another link to your website that requires slackers to respond with an RSVP if they are coming?

#6 sm316217

sm316217
          • 50 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming. We are having a formal reception. I'm thinking about just doing them myself with the post card reply cards.

#7 foxytv

foxytv
            • VIP Member
            • 7,740 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by sm316217
              Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming. We are having a formal reception. I'm thinking about just doing them myself with the post card reply cards.
              That's what we did for our STD's and what we will do (and have them mailed out while at DW/HM) for the AHR b/c we still have a ton of people who have eiher forgotten to RSVP or are just lazy butts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users