• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Alyssa

Alyssa
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I am a Registered Dietitian and I typically recommend probiotics to individuals with digestive issues, but, they may also be useful to keep your digestive system healthy. The important thing to keep in mind is the quantity of bacteria in a probiotic because the reflects the effectiveness. For example, one that I recommend is called Yakult. It has 8 billion bacteria in a 2.7 ounce container!
    Many food products claim probiotics, but, often, they don't have enough to be effective.
    Thanks Rhonda! i have heard that you cannot get enough through diet alone, similar to Folic Acid. i am thinking about this brand, PB8, which is shelf stable - are you familiar with this one? thanks :)

#22 Lilpaisley

Lilpaisley
    • 402 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:11 PM

I was diagnosed with IBS about 2 years ago and have taken probiotics from time to time. I have always used the refrigerated brands. I've generally taken them for a few days to weeks after I've had a severe "IBS attack" as I call it. I can't say for sure how much it helps as my system is already haywire. I have to limit my dairy intake due to the IBS, so a daily yogurt would be my preference if it was possible.

One thing I can recommend is Acacia Fiber. This seems to help tons. I've also had great success with peppermint oil capsules.
      Riu Montego Bay, Jamaica - Feb 28, 2009
      http://ticker.7910.o....2EgaXMgaW4.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users