Photo

Sports bottles instead of Travel mugs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cole5worm

Cole5worm
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:24 PM

Question: Has anyone used sports bottles in their OOT bag instead of Travel mugs. I have to order around 40 cups.. and I wanted to keep the bags at a reasonable price and I know i can get cups at the Dollar store for $1 but i was wondering if anyone used sports bottles. either the pop top where you suck out of it or the ones wehre you unscrew the lid?

#2 FinallyMrsBeckermann

FinallyMrsBeckermann
    • 161 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

Hmm.. That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea really. I think most people were using insulated just to keep the drinks cold or hot but I think water bottles would work just fine too.

Off Topic: I went through Decatur on Monday on my way back from a funeral. When we drove through I thought I had remembered seeing someone on here from there..

#3 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

susanK did. She packed her stuff in the bottles instead of putting it in a bag & it looked really cute. I can't seem to find her planning pics.

I'm using tumbler mugs because they would pack up easier. They won't help for keeping stuff cold though.

#4 Alyssa

Alyssa
        • 11,793 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

i wanted to do sports bottles - specifically customized Nalgene bottles or Polycarb but i can't find them anywhere for less than $4 to $12 per piece before the set up fees and shipping (works out to like $8 per unit) and most of the places i found required a minimum of 50 or 70 pieces so i scratched that idea

#5 Cole5worm

Cole5worm
          • 371 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

Man! I found some at the $1 tree. But i don't feel like they are big enouh. the tumblers are a good idea too.. i guess it just comes down to wanting a bigger cup! People will probably have the drink down before it gets too warm! lol.. well i know I will! Morgan your cups are so cute. did you paint the names on yourself? are those stickers on the side I love it!!!

And i am sorry you had to go though smelly Decatur and i am sorry about the furnal! But yes I live her for now.. like to move away well atleast from the smell :-)

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Cole5worm
              Man! I found some at the $1 tree. But i don't feel like they are big enouh. the tumblers are a good idea too.. i guess it just comes down to wanting a bigger cup! People will probably have the drink down before it gets too warm! lol.. well i know I will! Morgan your cups are so cute. did you paint the names on yourself? are those stickers on the side I love it!!!

And i am sorry you had to go though smelly Decatur and i am sorry about the furnal! But yes I live her for now.. like to move away well atleast from the smell :-)
              yep, I used a $3 paint pen from a craft store. The pictures are rubons. they don't even come off in the dishwasher. Rubbing them on takes a while & they are about $3 per 20. Stickers would be quicker & cheaper, but I do like how they turned out. The cups were 5 cents each in the target chritmas section. I actually bought 150 so I can use them at the AHR too. I may have gotten carried away.

I think having some insulation is nice, but my main goal was to get everyone a larger cup. I also don't think I'd have room for 40 bottles. We probably won't be able to throw stuff in someone elses luggage. Our family is all flying from a different state. So i'm trying to keep the OOT bags compact.

#7 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 18,759 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t13612

Here is my link. At first I only had 32 cups. I found more at a different target & they were marked down to five cents so I bought all of them. All 120!

#8 Cole5worm

Cole5worm
                • 371 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

Ahhh I love it! Now my mission for the Day find Cheap cups!! Target or Walmart here I come!

#9 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Cole5worm
                    Ahhh I love it! Now my mission for the Day find Cheap cups!! Target or Walmart here I come!
                    Thanks! I really had fun painting them. I planned on ordering custom cups, but when I saw those for so cheap at target I just had to do it this way. They turned out better than I expected. If you have trouble finding them, wait until spring. Plastic cups are all over the place before summer for BBQs. Target always has them in the seasonal section & then they get marked down a bunch.

My tips
                    -put 2 coats of paint for each name

-dishwash them first (on the top rack)

-Rub really hard to make those rubons transfer. Rubbing a lot doesn't work as well as just rubbing really hard (I learned that after rubbing a few for 5 minutes each).

I get really excited when another guests book because I can go paint another cup!

#10 Cole5worm

Cole5worm
                    • 371 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:53 PM

I bet you do! I may be really ahead of myself i have 5 months and i want to get all this stuff done but the invites are not even out yet so i guess i could work on the ones i know for sure are coming!!! do i wash them before painting or after adn before the rub-on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users