becks

VIP

• VIP Member
  • 4,881 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
  • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

Hi Ladies! For what it's worth, my TA is booking all of our rooms thru a wholesaler. The room block that the Paradisus offered me directly was actually more expensive than using a wholesaler.

Also, booking a "block" does not mean that they are in close proximity. It just guarantees a rate and a number of rooms. They could be spread out all over the place. And actually, most of the block contracts state that within X number of weeks (usually 6- any rooms not booked can be given away, so you're not even guaranteed the rooms if they haven't been paid in advance.

Personally, I would find a TA that will work with each of your guests individually and doesn't require a block or more than just a deposit.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#492 KLC77

KLC77
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:16 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by becks
    Hi Ladies! For what it's worth, my TA is booking all of our rooms thru a wholesaler. The room block that the Paradisus offered me directly was actually more expensive than using a wholesaler.

Also, booking a "block" does not mean that they are in close proximity. It just guarantees a rate and a number of rooms. They could be spread out all over the place. And actually, most of the block contracts state that within X number of weeks (usually 6- any rooms not booked can be given away, so you're not even guaranteed the rooms if they haven't been paid in advance.

Personally, I would find a TA that will work with each of your guests individually and doesn't require a block or more than just a deposit.
    I was thinking that a "block" being held for you would be specific rooms. Duh! What you said makes more sense. Clearly, I have just left everything in the hands of my wonderful TA. lol She got the rate thru a wholesaler as well and people only need to put down a $150.00 deposit with the balance due at some point in November.
    ~Kelly

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#493 JHarwood2Be

JHarwood2Be
    • 687 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by KLC77
      I was thinking that a "block" being held for you would be specific rooms. Duh! What you said makes more sense. Clearly, I have just left everything in the hands of my wonderful TA. lol She got the rate thru a wholesaler as well and people only need to put down a $150.00 deposit with the balance due at some point in November.
      Quick question-does your rate stay the same no matter when they book or fluctuate day to day. Mine says it changes day to day, and I was just curious how yours works? Same thing for us $150 deposit and pay the balance by March for our April wedding.
      Photography by Tamm's Photos
      http://www.ezticker.....aya/ticker.png

#494 KLC77

KLC77
      • 2,207 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by JHarwood2Be
        Quick question-does your rate stay the same no matter when they book or fluctuate day to day. Mine says it changes day to day, and I was just curious how yours works? Same thing for us $150 deposit and pay the balance by March for our April wedding.
        My TA said that once the deposit was down the rate for the resort is locked in, but the bulk airfare rate can change at any time unless it is paid in full. We passed this info on to guests and most have just paid for their airfare in full when booking to avoid this. It was only $391 non-stop roundtrip when we started. I do believe it has gone up by $30 or so since then.
        ~Kelly

#495 JHarwood2Be

JHarwood2Be
        • 687 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

That's a great price for airfare these days!
          Photography by Tamm's Photos
          http://www.ezticker.....aya/ticker.png

#496 KLC77

KLC77
          • 2,207 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

I know! I was all over that one.
            ~Kelly

#497 yamille

yamille
            • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

Kelly- are you flying out of NY? wow. I just looked it up today out of jfk and lga and it was way higher for May- which is supposed to be the "low season". Good for you!

#498 KLC77

KLC77
              • 2,207 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:47 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by yamille
                Kelly- are you flying out of NY? wow. I just looked it up today out of jfk and lga and it was way higher for May- which is supposed to be the "low season". Good for you!
                Yup, non-stop out of JFK. It was a "bulk" rate offered by my TA thru GoGo Travel. I was thrilled. My brother and bf are flying out of Bradley in CT and it was like $200 more with a layover, but easier for them to get a ride there and not pay for parking for the week.
                ~Kelly

#499 lm3682

lm3682
                • 40 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

So I've just spent the last two hours reading this series of posts and hear two things - we all really like Paradisus and it's really hard to pin them down on costs. So for those who have just had a wedding there or are very close and have most pricing determined, how much over budget did you go, not because of changes you made, but because of unforseen expenses or ridiculous expenses that you couldn't get around? I don't know if I can handle not knowing the exact cost going in - I'm a contracts person and document everything in writing so there's no surprises or confusion.

On a side note, thanks for all the great info. I'm off to read LeShay's wedding review next.

#500 KLC77

KLC77
                  • 2,207 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

Do any of you know what the day pass fee is? I have a friend wanting to use a timeshare rather than stay at the resort...
                    TIA
                    ~Kelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter