Photo

Yeah! Our US catholic priest will marry us legally when we get back!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 superez

superez
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:55 AM

Yipee! I had posted a message about this a while back and thought I needed to get married legally through our local county civil process after having our Catholic ceremony in Playa del Carmen (ie., no legal marriage in Mexico). Well, we happened to be speaking to our priest after mass today and he offered to marry us legally when we get back from Mexico (provided we show him our mexican catholic marriage certificate of course) in a very short, very casual (he said we can show up in jeans even!) ceremony with just 2 witnesses. I was so happy to hear that! Now we don't have to worry about going to the county registrar recorder for the civil ceremony. What a relief! So, for anyone getting married through the catholic church in Mexico, ask your priest if he will do this. I have a feeling it depends on the priest and the diocese, but it won't hurt to try!!!

#2 Yari

Yari
    • VIP Member
    • 10,928 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:04 AM

That's great, congrats!

#3 lucy106

lucy106
      • 2,880 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

What a relief that must be for you! Congratulations on such great news!

#4 JennyK

JennyK
        • 3,502 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:33 PM

thats great that your priest would do that!

#5 Gretchen

Gretchen
          • Banned
          • 416 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

That will be so nice for you - much better than the county office!
            Gretchen "GiGi"

#6 Anna26

Anna26
            • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

Hello!

I was reading your post because it cought my eye (since I am planning a catholic ceremony in Mexico as well) and I wanted to make sure that I understand your post.
              Will you be having a catholic ceremony twice (one in Mexico) and one at home?
              I know that religious ceremonies are not "legally" valid, that is why I though we also needed a civil ceremony (in Mexico or at home).
              But I didn't know that it is allowed to have a catholic ceremony twice.

How does that work?
              Thanks!

#7 superez

superez
              • 106 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

Hi Anna! This is what I understand from our priest...our official catholic ceremony will be in Mexico only, but as a favor to us he will marry us legally here in the US. In his eyes, we got married through the church no matter where, and since it's not legal in Mexico or here in the US automatically, we will present him with our catholic certificate after we get back, have a quickie ceremony of some sort (not a full on mass, he made it sound like it was only for a few minutes, all we need is 2 witnesses and come in our jeans) and he will sign our county marriage license. From what I've read from other catholic brides, this is extremely rare, but I would ask your priest if he will do this for you! Let me know if you have more questions and keep me posted! Susan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter