Photo

Passport and Social Security Card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fogdog

fogdog
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:51 AM

Does anyone know if my passport would still work if I went to social security and changed my name (without getting a new passport)?
    I happen to have the day off tomorrow and was thinking about going to social security to do the name change. But, we are thinking of going on our honeymoon in a few weeks and I don't think I'd have my updated passport back in time for that.
    Bridget and Brian
    Los Cabos 11/17/07

#2 fogdog

fogdog
    • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:22 AM

Sorry, confusing, I was having trouble wording the question.
      But, yes, do I need to change my name on my passport to travel out of the country (if I have already changed social security, etc...).

Sounds like I'd be fine going to SS with my passport and changing it with them. But, when we go I need to make my reservation in my old name. Right?

Also, add-on question, how long do you generally have after being married to get everything changed? Is there a time limit?

Thanks for the help!
      Bridget and Brian
      Los Cabos 11/17/07

#3 Yari

Yari
      • VIP Member
      • 10,928 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:35 AM

You can use your current passport if you make your reservation in your maiden name.

#4 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
        • 26,161 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:24 AM

Ditto to what they said :o)

#5 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
          • 4,881 posts
          • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
          • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
          • LocationNew York

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:08 AM

Yup. The state department (the passport people), is totally separate from the Social Security Administration. So you're fine to change your S/S name.

The key thing is that the name in your passport MUST match the name on your airline ticket - otherwise the airline will not honor it, no matter what legal documentation you provide.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#6 *JillD*

*JillD*
          • 5,112 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

If you think about it, all the airlines look at is your passport, they don't ask you for another form of ID, so as others have said as long as your ticket is in the same name, you'll be fine.

#7 jessyg20

jessyg20
            • 263 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by fogdog
              Does anyone know if my passport would still work if I went to social security and changed my name (without getting a new passport)?
              I happen to have the day off tomorrow and was thinking about going to social security to do the name change. But, we are thinking of going on our honeymoon in a few weeks and I don't think I'd have my updated passport back in time for that.
              I agree with everyone else. As long as your passport is valid and your ticket matches the name on your passport, your fine! There's no time limit for changing your name on your passport. I work in the airport and believe me, we see it everyday!
              Jessy

My Planning Thread-Updated Links
              http://bestdestinati....-thread-30226/
              Wedding Pictures Link Threadhttp://bestdestinati....perfect-31186/NH Arena Real Wedding Reviewhttp://bestdestinati....ew-pics-32477/

#8 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 24,768 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Yes, you can use your passport even if you change your SS card ... assuming your passport matches your ticket name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users