How late is too late to change the date??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lyrebard

• 229 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

Hope I'm posting in the right place. I just need input, because I can't think of where else to go for advice on this one.

My partner is an MD/PhD student who's slated to graduate June 5th (at long last!). To the best of our knowledge, most residency programs start on July 1, so we scheduled our wedding to take place on June 21 in order to give us time between graduation and wedding, and time between wedding and residency start-date.

But the more interviews he goes on, the more scared he gets. Some of these places are asking their new residents to start as early as June 12! And since we won't know until mid-March which program he's been accepted to, we're starting to worry a bit. We obviously chose our date very carefully, according to when we though we could do it and when we thought our loved ones' schedules would permit them to come. We put money down on the venue (a lot of money!), gave a photographer his deposit, and reserved a block of rooms at a hotel. We sent out most save-the-date cards a little less than a month ago.

So my etiquette question is: If the venue, photographer, and hotel can accommodate switching us to a week earlier, is it too late to ask our guests to change their schedules? Is it crazy to think about changing ours?

I don't even know what to think anymore. I just know I'm too close to the situation to view it rationally.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

#2 TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

if people have not booked their flights and they can change tehir hotel reservation i dont see a problem...

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
    Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#3 Jessica

• VIP Member
    • 11,939 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

yikes! well has anyone booked yet?! if most people haven't booked yet, or if those guests who did book can change their reservations without losing $$$ then I think it would be ok. you may see some people who were going to come drop out if they needed that time to save $$ or vacation time.

wait... i just read that you only want to move it up a week... right? well i would think that should be ok. i would find out asap though about the venue, photog, etc so you can let your guests know. it should be fine.

good luck to your partner! that's quite an accomplishment!!!

#4 bre

• 205 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

If your guests have not made hotel or flight reservations yet, I'm sure they will be understanding of the circumstances. However, if they have already spent $$$ they may not be as understanding...

Good luck!!!!
        Bre & Pete
        January 19, 2008
        El Dorado Royale

#5 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:52 AM

I think the main thing we need to know is if people will lose money.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this!!

#6 lyrebard

• 229 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I don't *think* people will lose money. We aren't requiring firm reservations until mid-March, so I don't know that anyone's put money down on anything yet. The likelier scenario is that we'll lose people -- the earlier in June we go, the smaller the chance that our friends in school (both those who teach school and those who go to school) will be able to make it.

Of course, just heard back from the photog (the fabulous Matt Adcock), and — as I pretty much expected, given the demand for his time — he's totally booked up through June and can't reschedule us for any time that month.

Now, I guess, we just have to think really hard about our needs, wants, and things we'd be willing to give up one way or another.

Any additional advice always appreciated.

#7 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

You can get insurance so that if you did have to cancel, you'd be able to refund everyone's money & get back what you spent. I think someone said they got $40,000 for $400. I'll look for the post. I know that is not what anyone would want to do.

#8 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 18,759 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

post #10 in this thread

#9 Christine

• VIP Member
                • 21,514 posts
                • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
                • Wedding Location:Napa, California
                • LocationReno, NV

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

hmm well is there an advisor your FI can talk to at school and find out what the chances are he will have to change the date?
                I wonder if he can arrange his schedule for that particular week and meet you there.
                Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#10 lyrebard

• 229 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

Problem is, the residency-matching program is totally random. Applicants apply to all these schools, and then rank their top choices. The schools rank their top applicants. Then the whole thing gets thrown into a computer that spits out the "best match" for each student, assuming they get matched at all.

But he won't know which school he's been matched to until March 17. Thus, he doesn't really have a way to determine whether his new hospital will let him start late, because he doesn't know which hospital it's going to be. Ack!

That's a good idea about the trip insurance, though. Thanks, Morgan. I'll check into that right now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users