How late is too late to change the date??
Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:21 AM
My partner is an MD/PhD student who's slated to graduate June 5th (at long last!). To the best of our knowledge, most residency programs start on July 1, so we scheduled our wedding to take place on June 21 in order to give us time between graduation and wedding, and time between wedding and residency start-date.
But the more interviews he goes on, the more scared he gets. Some of these places are asking their new residents to start as early as June 12! And since we won't know until mid-March which program he's been accepted to, we're starting to worry a bit. We obviously chose our date very carefully, according to when we though we could do it and when we thought our loved ones' schedules would permit them to come. We put money down on the venue (a lot of money!), gave a photographer his deposit, and reserved a block of rooms at a hotel. We sent out most save-the-date cards a little less than a month ago.
So my etiquette question is: If the venue, photographer, and hotel can accommodate switching us to a week earlier, is it too late to ask our guests to change their schedules? Is it crazy to think about changing ours?
I don't even know what to think anymore. I just know I'm too close to the situation to view it rationally.
Thanks in advance for the advice!!!
Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:44 AM
Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com / Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion
Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE? We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
Awards and recognition:
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award) | AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner | Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read! If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:44 AM
wait... i just read that you only want to move it up a week... right? well i would think that should be ok. i would find out asap though about the venue, photog, etc so you can let your guests know. it should be fine.
good luck to your partner! that's quite an accomplishment!!!
Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:50 AM
January 19, 2008
El Dorado Royale
Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:52 AM
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this!!
Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:21 PM
I don't *think* people will lose money. We aren't requiring firm reservations until mid-March, so I don't know that anyone's put money down on anything yet. The likelier scenario is that we'll lose people -- the earlier in June we go, the smaller the chance that our friends in school (both those who teach school and those who go to school) will be able to make it.
Of course, just heard back from the photog (the fabulous Matt Adcock), and — as I pretty much expected, given the demand for his time — he's totally booked up through June and can't reschedule us for any time that month.
Now, I guess, we just have to think really hard about our needs, wants, and things we'd be willing to give up one way or another.
Any additional advice always appreciated.
Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:48 PM
Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:11 PM
I wonder if he can arrange his schedule for that particular week and meet you there.
Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:34 PM
But he won't know which school he's been matched to until March 17. Thus, he doesn't really have a way to determine whether his new hospital will let him start late, because he doesn't know which hospital it's going to be. Ack!
That's a good idea about the trip insurance, though. Thanks, Morgan. I'll check into that right now!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users