Jump to content

Photo

Catholic Ceremony


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Ana

Ana

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 8,047 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

hey ana, i resolved this quite awhile back, i posted some thread about it. he gave away our ceremony time to another couple and scheduled a quinceanera right after, so my FMIL called and bitched the secretary out and got us a time slot at noon to do it privately with our parents and then our priest we are flying down who is a family member is doing a vow renewal ceremony with all of our guests at the westin, with all the mexican catholic traditions.

claudia -- you dont have to be a member of the parish to get married there. no catholic priest in cabo will do a ceremony outside of the church sanctuary - this is a standard rule of catholicism like ana said.
I realized after I posted that the post was from a while back I'm glad that you had everything resolved though!

#22 Ana

Ana

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 8,047 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiabenitez
So there is no way to have the ceremony outside the church, uh? Well I'll have to keep checking the church options there. I feel the "legal" marriage and the ceremony are performed the same day. Thanks for the help, I'll contact padre Juvencio then.
no unfortunately there's no way, unless you have a minister do it, but definatley not a Catholic Priest. You can always do the legal marriage the night before the religious one. Let me know how it goes.

#23 claudiabenitez

claudiabenitez
  • Newbie
  • 77 posts

    Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:30 PM

    So I'm thinking, if you all guys are having problems with the priest, that a catholic wedding is not my type. Actually is more Brian's mom and my mom type. I want a beutiful beach wedding and I believe it wouldn't feel right doing it "twice", once in the beach and then back home. I think I'm going for the civil ceremony only.

    #24 Ana

    Ana

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 8,047 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
    • LocationToronto

    Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by claudiabenitez
    So I'm thinking, if you all guys are having problems with the priest, that a catholic wedding is not my type. Actually is more Brian's mom and my mom type. I want a beutiful beach wedding and I believe it wouldn't feel right doing it "twice", once in the beach and then back home. I think I'm going for the civil ceremony only.
    I'm having trouble with the priest here in Canada, the one in Cabo has been super nice and accomodating. Our priest here hates us because we are "cohabitating" and because we're not getting married in his Church. He gave us a huge speech about how he won't even marry people that are cohabitating if they aren't in his parish and thus is being forced to. He said that he strongly disagrees with it and that its an embarassement to him and the Church *he managed to say this all in front of 38 couples at our Marriage Prep class! like, I'm pretty sure that there are at least another 10 or so couples there in the same situation as us..if not more.

    K enough venting..lol! sorry

    #25 adrianna28

    adrianna28
    • Jr. Member
    • 178 posts

      Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

      I know exactly how you feel. Mine and my FI parents are catholic, but we attend a non-denominational church. They were really heart broken when we told them that we were having a Christian ceremony. Thats the way WE wanted to begin our lives together. My only suggestion is to have a wedding on the beach the way you want to and maybe have a small catholic ceremony at home. If you don't want a full blown Catholic ceremony, a preist can Bless your marriage which is just a short ceremony in a Catholic church...Kind of like renewing your vows.

      #26 Maura

      Maura

        VIP Member

      • VIP Member
      • 5,752 posts
      • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

      Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Ana
      I'm having trouble with the priest here in Canada, the one in Cabo has been super nice and accomodating. Our priest here hates us because we are "cohabitating" and because we're not getting married in his Church. He gave us a huge speech about how he won't even marry people that are cohabitating if they aren't in his parish and thus is being forced to. He said that he strongly disagrees with it and that its an embarassement to him and the Church *he managed to say this all in front of 38 couples at our Marriage Prep class! like, I'm pretty sure that there are at least another 10 or so couples there in the same situation as us..if not more.

      K enough venting..lol! sorry
      Ana, go to a different church. There is no reason the priest should be treating you that way.

      #27 Ana

      Ana

        VIP Member

      • VIP Member
      • 8,047 posts
      • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
      • LocationToronto

      Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

      thanks Maura..I know he's really not nice at all. Unfortunatley for us he's the only parish that we belong to and that's also close enough for us to walk to. We live right downtown so we don't have a car. I think I'm going to give it until the end of the marriage prep course and if things don't get better then we'll switch. My FI is very non-confrontational (super frustrating because I'm the complete opposite) so he doesn't really want to cause problems :S

      #28 claudiabenitez

      claudiabenitez
      • Newbie
      • 77 posts

        Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:32 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Ana
        thanks Maura..I know he's really not nice at all. Unfortunatley for us he's the only parish that we belong to and that's also close enough for us to walk to. We live right downtown so we don't have a car. I think I'm going to give it until the end of the marriage prep course and if things don't get better then we'll switch. My FI is very non-confrontational (super frustrating because I'm the complete opposite) so he doesn't really want to cause problems :S
        Hey Ana I still believe that the priest was to harsh on you guys. I'm living with my fiancee right now too, and trust me my parents being Mexican they're really conservative about it, but hey it's our life and I don't see the harm if we're getting married anyway.
        Good luck with the prep course, I'm now 100% sure I just want the civil ceremony by the beach.

        #29 Ana

        Ana

          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 8,047 posts
        • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
        • LocationToronto

        Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by claudiabenitez
        Hey Ana I still believe that the priest was to harsh on you guys. I'm living with my fiancee right now too, and trust me my parents being Mexican they're really conservative about it, but hey it's our life and I don't see the harm if we're getting married anyway.
        Good luck with the prep course, I'm now 100% sure I just want the civil ceremony by the beach.

        lol! yea on re-reading what I wrote I think I would have convinced myself even to have a civil ceremony. For us its a personal decision. I know what I believe and its important to us to have a Catholic ceremony. I want to introduce my children to the church too, have them baptized etc.. and if later in life they decide that its not important then that is a personal decision they have to live with. There are alot of Church teachings and rules that I don't agree with, but I also respect the values that they're trying to instill in our relationship and in the end I do believe that it will help our relationship grow and be healthy...otherwise I think I'd have told the priest here off and just had a civil ceremony. His opinions are what they are, its unfortunate and they make me angry at times, but I guess its his right to have them, and we're in his Church....anyways we'll see. Like Maura suggested, there's a good chance we're going to switch if we find that we're not getting anywhere with this guy.

        Congrats on deciding what kind of ceremony you want! its such a big decision




        0 user(s) are reading this topic

        0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users