Catholic Ceremony

miagirl

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are actually flying our priest down to Cancun, the minister at MP is going to do the first part of the ceremony and then our priest is going to do a blessing - it won't have all of the traditional catholic parts of a wedding but this way we get the whole thing at once!

just FYI, p. juvencio will not under any circumstances give his blessing for a catholic wedding on the beach. my FMIL talked to him a week ago and he said the only place to get a catholic wedding is inside the church, and they wont bless a beach wedding.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
FYI, Padre Juvencio is EXTREMELY difficult to get a hold of. We've sent several emails and called a bunch of times and still no response... we have our hearts set on getting married there, so we're going to keep trying but... we're starting to worry!
That is soo strange Maura sad.gif I'm sorry that you're going through that! its terrible! We were having similar issues with our priest here at home but we haven't had any issues with Padre Juvencio. I've had a tonne of questions and have emailed about a dozen times in the last month or so. He takes a few days to answer back but eventually he does. On the phone I've got him every time and he always seems really sweet and eager to help (he even sent us a random email with recommendations on what books to read etc). Usually I call at about 11am Vancouver time and he seems to be around maybe try calling him then. I know he's been busy with Holy Week and Easter and all. Have you had him confirm your date and time at least?

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiabenitez View Post
I'm also having issues with the priests at Cabo about having the ceremony at other place but the church. If anyone knows how to make this possible, HELP PLEASE!!!!
Priests won't perform ceremonies outside the Church. I think its pretty standard for Catholicism all over the world. You might want to try actually having the ceremony at a chapel in Cabo or at home when you return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyf View Post
Hi Mauraw - Did the priest say that he would marry you in the church even though you arent a member of the parish?
I am also interested in a Catholic ceremony in Cabo San Lucas...but totally new to all this planning stuff!
Thanks wink.gif
Hi Shelly, my FI and I aren't a part of the parish in Cabo either and we had no issues getting a date confirmed. The first thing I did was call the church and spoke with Padre Juvencio on the phone. He told me the process for having a Catholic ceremony in his church and sent me some info by email. Basically we had to go to our parish priest here, let him know of what we wanted to do and have him start our paper work. We also had to start our Marriage Prep classes here as well. Once all that is started, the parish priest is supposed to email the priest in Cabo and let him know that you've started with everything, at which point he can officially reserve the date and time for you. We had some problems with our priest here who hates the fact that we live together and are not paying him the money to have the wedding in his church. He refused to send Padre Juvencio the email stating that we'd begun our process. We were literally freaking out and then our WC Maye suggested that we get a formal letter from the Educational services of the Church saying we'd started. Once I got that I scanned and emailed it to Padre Juvencio who emailed me back within the day and confirmed that our date and time were booked in. The paperwork will be done between your local parish and the parish in Cabo. So you don't have to do much after that (I hope) :) lol hope that helps...I went on a bit of a rant there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana View Post
That is soo strange Maura sad.gif I'm sorry that you're going through that! its terrible! We were having similar issues with our priest here at home but we haven't had any issues with Padre Juvencio. I've had a tonne of questions and have emailed about a dozen times in the last month or so. He takes a few days to answer back but eventually he does. On the phone I've got him every time and he always seems really sweet and eager to help (he even sent us a random email with recommendations on what books to read etc). Usually I call at about 11am Vancouver time and he seems to be around maybe try calling him then. I know he's been busy with Holy Week and Easter and all. Have you had him confirm your date and time at least?
hey ana, i resolved this quite awhile back, i posted some thread about it. he gave away our ceremony time to another couple and scheduled a quinceanera right after, so my FMIL called and bitched the secretary out and got us a time slot at noon to do it privately with our parents and then our priest we are flying down who is a family member is doing a vow renewal ceremony with all of our guests at the westin, with all the mexican catholic traditions.

claudia -- you dont have to be a member of the parish to get married there. no catholic priest in cabo will do a ceremony outside of the church sanctuary - this is a standard rule of catholicism like ana said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana View Post
Priests won't perform ceremonies outside the Church. I think its pretty standard for Catholicism all over the world. You might want to try actually having the ceremony at a chapel in Cabo or at home when you return.
So there is no way to have the ceremony outside the church, uh? Well I'll have to keep checking the church options there. I feel the "legal" marriage and the ceremony are performed the same day. Thanks for the help, I'll contact padre Juvencio then.