• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kaitlyncrossley

Kaitlyncrossley
  • 12 posts
  • Wedding Date:March 12, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire Riveria Cancun

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:41 AM

have any of you done most of your wedding decor DIY? has anyone traveled with lots of decor? I am trying to do as much of the decor myself as I can but would love any thoughts from someone who might have done this themselves! Wedding is 2.5 months away and im freakkkkkking out!!!! :)

#2 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:34 AM

@Kaitlyncrossley I did! I traveled with 6 full sized table cloths, 4 table runners, all of my votives (and I had a lot), mason jars for my centrepieces and tons of picture frames. I also brought a few other things like name cards, welcome letters and all of my welcome bags and contents.

It's definitely possible, but you may need to have some helpful friends. I was fortunate enough to have friends who offered to take a lot of it. I was able to divide it between my friends. When it came to the breakable stuff we used both of our carry ons to bring those so that they wouldn't break in travel.

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#3 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

@Kaitlyncrossley  Congrats and welcome! Absolutely there are brides here that have travelled with decor! Most more than likely, and we have some fabulous DIY brides here too!!

I would highly recommend reading through by searching up top. Just type in DIY and see what you get. I know a lot will come up. You could also read through the NOW Sapphire thread and I'm sure you'll find brides that have taken their decor with them. This site is great but you definitely need to read. You could type in almost anything in the search bar at the top and you would get threads that I'm sure will help you out.

Good luck and happy planning!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#4 nadiakat17

nadiakat17
  • 462 posts
  • Wedding Date:March 27, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Puerto Vallarta

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

I feel like we took the most from anyone I've seen lol....table clothes, cloth napkins, candy bar jars, huge welcome bags, candles, vases, fans, maracas, glow sticks, candy, silverware, kids toys, and the list goes on lol. We got confused w the suitcase sizes and bought big duffels but turns out they were out of the dimensions. Would recommend cardboard moving box with maximum airline dimension.. That will be the best way to maximize space. (Engineer husband ) We put really fragile stuff in our carryons but packed other stuff inside bags, vases etc. we also got his parents to take a box ( they were not that happy) people will give you looks but they held up pretty well ( bring extra duct tape for ride back) and yes we did get attention for customs but they just peeked at the top and we said wedding and they let us go quickly. I was glad I did it myself bc that way I knew all the decor was what I wanted plus did a ton of DIYs and it was fun

#5 charlottesouza

charlottesouza
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

I've been told that we cannot bring personalised stuff from home, or if we do there is a fee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
    • 4,506 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
    • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

I've been told that we cannot bring personalised stuff from home, or if we do there is a fee?

Do you mean your resort will charge you to set up decor you bring? Some resorts do that - probably so you pay for theirs - but most brides find the fee is cheaper than their decor rental fees lol. My resort didn't charge for decor set up so best to ask!

Edited by calgarybride2015, 11 January 2016 - 05:34 PM.

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#7 ann123

ann123
    • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:04 PM

I plan on bringing my decor and bouquets with me. I don't have a lot, but what I do have is seems big - 5 ikea lanterns, 4 flower wreathes, cloth napkins, 7 candles, 3 bouquets and welcome bags for guest. This is what I have planned so far. I opted to pay for table cloths since I didn't know what size the tables were. I hope it all fits in my luggage and one extra, *fingers crossed*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users