532 replies to this topic

#61 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Everything is looking really good! Looks like you caught the Michael's bug too ;) haha 

I was going to Michaels a few times a week when I was planning decor.. It became a real addiction and now I ask my fiance to keep me away from it haha.

Love the Ikea Lanterns too!!! :)

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#62 ashhtayy

ashhtayy
  • 607 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:26 AM

Looks amazing so far!

I love your love for Winners and HomeSense (I work at their Head Office). Shop, Shop, Shop! The more $ you spend there, the more $ I'll have for my wedding ;) I tease...but seriously, please shop there as much as possible lol And don't forget Marshalls...they have a small home section as well and if you need more of an item, you may find it there. I saw some starfish items when I was shopping there Friday (unfortunately I am in the Toronto area so telling you the store won't help). Alberta has SO many stores so you will have no problem finding everything you need.

Great job with your Michaels coupons - you found some amazing deals! I have used the chalkboard markers...a lot. My favourite is the Bistro Calk Marker (white cap & black body). I have both the small and large marker and I prefer to use the large marker, even on small items. It totally depends on what surface you are writing on how well it sticks or smudges. I chalk board painted wine glass bottoms and wrote the girls names on them for a bachelorette and it stuck and did not smudge...until of coarse we washed them. I wrote on a plastic cup that we made into an award for a work event and it never dryed (smudged every time we touched it). I think you will be fine to pre-write on your chalk board sign but make sure you pack the marker for touch ups (justtttt in case).

Oh! And make sure you use a Michaels coupon to purchase the chalk marker because they aren't cheap!

Edited by ashhtayy, 08 June 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#63 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis, Riviera Maya

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

@ashhtayy

hahaha oh don't worry I am funding your wedding quite will with all my homesense/winner shopping. I'm actually wearing a cute dress and sandles I bought there this weekend :P I think I need to slow down on the decorations though or I wont have any room for clothes in my suitcase haha.

Good to know about the chalk pen! I'm excited to try it out! I'll have to wait for another 50% off coupon and go shopping. Thank goodness I have lots of time!

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#64 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

your decorations look great! and I think they'll look amazing when everything is put together. Those lanterns are such a steal right? we bought the same ones haha. I made dinner for my family last week for my birthday so I used one as a center piece hahah. 

Michael's has so many beautiful things! and with the coupons the prices are not bad at all. I had to stop going so regularly because I kept buying more and more things haha. Now I only go if I need something :)

event.png

#65 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,505 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

Great job!!! All looks great.

I used real candles at the GS and they just went around and lit them for us. Thankfully they were in a holder that sheltered them from the wind. But candles are definately allowed.

If you are worried about leaking definately just pack them in a ziplock bag. Maybe have all the tags pre done and then in Mexico get some girlfriends to help attach them and it'll be done in 10 mins.

I had a girls hour the night before our meeting with the WC and we got all our stuff made and in order. I had a large ziplock bag for each table, etc and put everything per table in it with instructions written on the bag. I pre wrote the instructions back home on the bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#66 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

@TinkerSofi Thanks! I'm really excited to see everything coming together already. I love the lanterns! I think I will use them out on the deck in the summer next year after I've used them. And all my vases can be used around the house! I imagine i'll try and get rid of lots of stuff after the wedding but i'm trying to be mindful of what I can re-use again in the future! And yes, Michaels may just become an addiction for me haha.

@calgarybride2015

Yeah I think for the mexico wedding I'll bring real candles and then from my reception back in Calgary I'll have to use battery operated ones (I think its a fire hazard if I use real ones in the hall).

I think I'm going to need to get my wedding party together when we first arrive to get things all organized. I'll need to collect sand from the beach for some of the vases and what not. How did you bring everything to the coordinator? I'm thinking if I fill my vases with sand and starfish and my lanterns too, then I'm not sure how I will bring them to the coordinator :S Great idea on the labeling of each bag for her though! I will definately be doing that. Also, do you by any chance remember seeing if they had teal (greenish blue) colored sashes for chairs? I'm just wondering if I should buy some online and then re-use them for my calgary reception too or not. So many decisions!

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#67 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

that's exactly my plan. We're building a house right now and have close to nothing for it haha, so a lot of my decor will end up around my house :). I'm excited to reuse some of the decor, and it also makes it more worthwhile to get it all.  

event.png

#68 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,505 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:32 PM

@TinkerSofi Thanks! I'm really excited to see everything coming together already. I love the lanterns! I think I will use them out on the deck in the summer next year after I've used them. And all my vases can be used around the house! I imagine i'll try and get rid of lots of stuff after the wedding but i'm trying to be mindful of what I can re-use again in the future! And yes, Michaels may just become an addiction for me haha.

@calgarybride2015

Yeah I think for the mexico wedding I'll bring real candles and then from my reception back in Calgary I'll have to use battery operated ones (I think its a fire hazard if I use real ones in the hall).

I think I'm going to need to get my wedding party together when we first arrive to get things all organized. I'll need to collect sand from the beach for some of the vases and what not. How did you bring everything to the coordinator? I'm thinking if I fill my vases with sand and starfish and my lanterns too, then I'm not sure how I will bring them to the coordinator :S Great idea on the labeling of each bag for her though! I will definately be doing that. Also, do you by any chance remember seeing if they had teal (greenish blue) colored sashes for chairs? I'm just wondering if I should buy some online and then re-use them for my calgary reception too or not. So many decisions!

Most things were in the bags so they were easy to carry.  Then I also had a mid sized tupperware container (think size of 2 pairs of shoes) that I brought some of the loose items in, in my suitcase to protect them. I put stuff in there and carried that as well.  We needed some extra hands but everyone wants to help :)  With respect to the vases, hmmmm maybe bring a collapsible box? Or buy sand here from the dollar store and have the WC assemble them for you?  

They had easily 10-15 different colored sashes, if you are worried that it match perfectly then maybe send them an email and ask for the spreadsheet that shows all the colors.  In our meeting we just had her show us the spreadsheet of colors and I picked the one I wanted.

Hope that helps!

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#69 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

@calgarybride2015 Thanks for the info! I'll have to see closer to the date when it comes time to do some packing what I want to do. I'm not sure I want to bring sand in my suitcase to a location that has lots of sand haha. Maybe I'll bring and empty container and fill it up and then ask them to put some in each vase! 

I will definitely email them and see if I can see the spreadsheet of colors. It looks like it might be cheaper for me to buy them online anyways and then just use them again in Calgary at my AHR. 

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#70 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire, Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:11 PM

@yycbride2016 I love all of your decor items! I'm not planning much decor (don't want the expense or to haul it all down), but you may sway me.  :P I'm also looking at teal as my main color. Have you found BM dresses yet? I'm struggling a bit to find the color I have in mind. Sorry if you have already mentioned this. I read too many threads here and can't keep them straight.

- Erin

My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...2016/?p=1893268

My Now Sapphire review: http://www.bestdesti...riviera-cancun/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016 Brides, Planning Tips, Mexico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users