Samantha's After the Fact Planning Journal (Long and Pic Heavy)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SamIAm85

• 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Our wedding was 4 months ago and I’m finally getting around to posting all the details.  This site was a HUGE help to me.  I could not have come up with so many ideas, vendors, sales, reviews, etc. without the help of the brides before me.  I would have been lost or spent a lot more money had I never stumbled upon this site.     

Our Story

Lane and I went to the same high school, but did not actually meet until College (Lane is two years older than me).  Lane was playing around on Facebook one day and noticed that we had a lot of mutual friends and we began talking.  Our first date took place at a carnival, but we never talked to each other after the date.  A year later, we ran into each other at a bar, got over the awkwardness of neither of us calling the other one back and the rest is history.

We went on a vacation to Mexico and Lane got the idea to propose on our flight.   He had spoken with the gate agents before our flight, met the lead flight attendant and got us bumped up to first class.  About 5 minutes before we boarded the plane they announced that everyone needed to fill out emergency contact information form.  We thought that was an odd request but complied.  As we boarded the plane, the gate agent told us “Good Luck”.  I started freaking out because they had made us fill out emergency contact information and it made me feel like the plane was going to go down.  Lane was freaking out because he thought they just ruined the surprise.  Once the plane reached cruising altitude Lane pretended to go to the bathroom.  The stewardess handed Lane the microphone and he proposed in front of everyone.  It was so sweet, but I was so embarrassed.  Neither of us remember what all was said due to nerves, but I said yes and the whole plane started cheering and crying. 

Our wedding took place at the Iberostar Tucan All-Inclusive Resort, Playa del Carmen, Mexico.  The Iberostar Tucan is approximately 30 miles south of the Cancun Airport, just a few minutes from Playa del Carmen.   You can find my review

My sister designed our save the dates and we purchased a magnet with a Groupon to Vista Print.  We ordered 100 Large Magnets and Envelopes from Vista Print for $0.52/each.  I purchased a $17 Groupon for $70 worth of product from Vista Print and we ended up spending an additional $35.00.

Wedding Website

After we chose a date and a resort, I spent hours creating our wedding website.  It included information about the Riviera Maya, the resort, our travel agent, etc.  Sometimes I don’t know why I even bothered spending so much time on the website, Lane and I had a TON of people asking us questions about the wedding, resort, passports, etc . and when we told them it was all on our website, the most common response was “oh you have  a website?”  Mind you we mentioned the website on our save the dates and our wedding invitations.

#2 SamIAm85

• 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Wedding Invitations

Our wedding invitations were semi-DIY. 

I made the ticket jacket myself for about $0.56/each.  Everything was purchased from Hobby Lobby on sale or with coupons (Palm Tree Stamp: $4.19; Mr. & Mrs. Stamp: $3; Stamp Ink: $5.99; Cardstock: $35; Hemp Rope: $3; White Tags: $7.96)

We ordered the

#3 SamIAm85

• 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

We got a great deal from Macy’s on Lane's outfit (we spent about $80). 

My dress is

I ordered wedge shoes in ocean blue from Design Your Pedestal for $84 and the shoe clips from LX Designs for $29 both on Etsy

#4 SamIAm85

• 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Welcome Bags 

Our welcome bags were a huge hit.  Our guests loved all their goodies.  The cups, cameras and totes seemed to be utilized the most. 

We gave one bag per single guest/couple and had a total 24 Welcome Bags.  They cost $11/single guest and $12/couple before tax.   For couples, we included 2 tumblers per bag. 

Tote Bag ($1, Dollar Tree) and 

Underwater Camera ($4.13, Ebay Seller aqua2209)

Plastic Tumbler ($1, Dollar Tree) and 

Spanish Phrases for Dummies ($1, Office Depot)

Aloe ($1, Dollar Tree)

Extra Tote Bag ($0.79, Ikea).  Our guests got two tote bags because I didn’t feel like running back to Ikea to make a return for $24.  Both bags were used by our guests.  I liked the Dollar Tree bags more for the presentation and sturdiness and I liked the Ikea bags because they were bigger and you could fold them up nicely.  

#5 SamIAm85

• 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

My sister and brother-in-law surprised us in Mexico with custom sunglasses for all our guests.  My sister and I were at the printer (Scudder Press, Inc.) working on my AHR invitation when I noticed the sunglasses and said I wish I had thought about doing them for the wedding.  She ordered them and didn’t even say anything about it until we were in Mexico.  We handed them out at the Welcome dinner and everyone wore them the whole weekend. 

We ordered

We ordered maracas from Amols in

I made these reserved seating signs for our parents, siblings, spouses and their children.  

#6 SamIAm85

• 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

I didn’t get very many pictures of the centerpieces.  My mom made the table runners and the tables were lined with candles, and floating flowers.  

3” Square Glass Candle Vases ($1/each from Dollar Tree) with 2.25”

Place Cards

I got the idea from another bride on this site.  I purchased

We had our guests sign a sand dollar and had them standing up in a tray of sand.  I plan on displaying them in a shadow box, but I’m still playing with the lay out.  I ordered

We used Fine Art Studio Photography.  We hired Diego and Alvaro for 4 hours.  You can read my review here.

#7 Tinkerbell82

• 193 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Love everything! Do you know where your sister got the sunglasses?  I want to include them in our OOT bags. :)

#8 SamIAm85

• 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

She bought them from Logo Lenses and she really liked the company. http://www.logolense...tone-sunglasses

#9 csho

• 1,007 posts
                  • Wedding Date:May 5, 2014
                  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Laguna Azul, Varadero Cuba
                  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Wow everything looked amazing!!! Congratulations~

#10 Tbasgall

• 152 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Love the guest book idea. Thinking about doing something out of the box like you. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users