Jump to content


Civil marriage in Mexico, need marriage certificate HELP!!

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 olisa6

  • Newbie
  • 125 posts

    Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:26 PM

    I posted this same thread in the Cabo forum but am not getting many responses so I thought I would post here to see what assistance I can get since the marriage certificate applies throughout Mexico.

    I have a question for those brides that had a civil marriage in Mexico. I called the state of NJ to see how to get my marriage certificate translated into English and registered with the United States. The state told me that I can not change my name or do anything until I have an English version of the marriage certificate. She said I am legally married, but the DMV, credit card companies etc will not accept a spanich version. She then told me that they do not translate it and I have two options.
    1) I have to get Mexico to translate it into English for me.
    2) I apply for a re-marriage certificate in the state of NJ and get married again. The issue with that is in the eyes of the US, this new day will be my official marriage day in the US. She also said this may be a better option because if I ever lose the certificate or if it gets damaged, I have to contact Mexico in order to get a new one issued.

    I then contacted my wedding coordinator and she said they do not translate marriage certificates. She then sent me to a website that translates documents. Not sure if this is legal in the US or not.

    I wanted to know what other brides did after they had a spanish marirage certificate. Did Mexico provide you with an English version or did you go somewhere and get it translated in English?
    Please help.... Lisa

    #2 verrow23

    • Newbie
    • 85 posts

      Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:32 PM

      Have you tried contacting the Mexican consulate in NJ? I know they can translate legal documents into Spanish, so they might ne able to translate to English. It's worth a shot.
      I knew he was the man I would marry as soon as we met...

      #3 edna

      • Site Supporter
      • 1,360 posts

        Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

        You need to get a translated copy but needs to be certified, not just a single translation, your WC should help you with that,.. also in the Mexican Consulate can help for sure.

        #4 edna

        • Site Supporter
        • 1,360 posts

          Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:06 AM

          I also found this:

          -"Once the civil ceremony has been completed, you will need to obtain a certified copy of the marriage certificate (Acta de Matrimonio). This will prove that you have been legally wed in accordance with Mexican law, and the marriage will be recognised just about everywhere in the world where it can be, including the USA, Canada, United Kingdom / EU."

          And this post too:

          -"Hola from Cozumel!

          Hi Jill, I was asked to come and answer your post, I hope I can be of help... I am a wedding coordinator here in Cozumel.

          Your license will have your maiden name on it (or the legal name that is registered on your passport). Ask your coordinator up front for a translated version in English, then changing your name should not be a problem. Most brides go to the Social Security office first, then when that is changed, it should all fall into place. Since all States and Counties are different, ask ahead of time what you will need for you to change your name so that you do not have to go back and ask your coordinator to send you extra copies or translations. Usually when you have one major document (such as Social Security Card) changed, then the others are a breeze.

          Cozumel Wedding Planner"

          0 user(s) are reading this topic

          0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users