Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
La-am

Please help me! Cost of wedding?

Recommended Posts

Hello!   I am trying to plan my destination wedding but do not know where to start! I have been reading thread upon thread and bog up blog to find out how much a DW might cost. I have gathered between 10,000 to 20,000 is sufficient which is exactly what my wedding budget is. However, as I am calling travel companies and looking at resort websites I am getting numbers like 800 PER PERSON for just the reception alone (just food and alcohol!). Please please help me! Is my budget of 10 to 20 thousand reasonable for bounty 50 guests? Do I plan through a company or the resort? My dream is to have a beach wedding which is perfect since I cannot afford one where I reside!   Thank you so much to anyone who will help and give any info.   Sincerely,   Desperate bride-to-be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, congrats and welcome!!

 

What country are you looking into getting married at?  If you go the route of an all-inclusive resort rather than a boutique resort everything will be much cheaper.

 

I recently got married on 11.23.2012 at Sun Palace (Palace Resorts) in Cancun, Mexico and it was the best and most perfect wedding ever!! We had 39 people make the journey with us and we did not spend more than $7000 on our whole wedding and our trip (flight and hotel included).  Palace resorts has awesome perks if you book enough room nights through your room block.  I did not pay a dime for my reception- it was ALL free!! 

 

You need to contact a travel agent that specializes in destination weddings to help you narrow down your choices and go from there.  I would recommend working with a travel agent vs booking directly through the resort!

 

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions!

 

Good luck!

Originally Posted by La-am View Post

Hello!   I am trying to plan my destination wedding but do not know where to start! I have been reading thread upon thread and bog up blog to find out how much a DW might cost. I have gathered between 10,000 to 20,000 is sufficient which is exactly what my wedding budget is. However, as I am calling travel companies and looking at resort websites I am getting numbers like 800 PER PERSON for just the reception alone (just food and alcohol!). Please please help me! Is my budget of 10 to 20 thousand reasonable for bounty 50 guests? Do I plan through a company or the resort? My dream is to have a beach wedding which is perfect since I cannot afford one where I reside!   Thank you so much to anyone who will help and give any info.   Sincerely,   Desperate bride-to-be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry...did that say $800 per person for the reception?? That can't be right! Lol! Definitely look into all inclusives! That what we're doing and my budget is the same as yours for the destination wedding and at home reception for about the same number of people! Plus with all inclusives nobody has the stress of not being able to join everyone for a meal if they can't afford it! Everyone's on the same playing field ;) Good luck and these boards will help you through everything!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Billandstina View Post

 

I'm sorry...did that say $800 per person for the reception?? That can't be right! Lol! Definitely look into all inclusives! That what we're doing and my budget is the same as yours for the destination wedding and at home reception for about the same number of people! Plus with all inclusives nobody has the stress of not being able to join everyone for a meal if they can't afford it! Everyone's on the same playing field wink.gif Good luck and these boards will help you through everything!!

RIGHT?! Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda says 780pp on their website. Maybe they are quoting the cost of  room stay as well, but when you book your all inclusive package it already includes rooms. I am so confused...and lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by shan0487 View Post

 

Hello, congrats and welcome!!

 

What country are you looking into getting married at?  If you go the route of an all-inclusive resort rather than a boutique resort everything will be much cheaper.

 

I recently got married on 11.23.2012 at Sun Palace (Palace Resorts) in Cancun, Mexico and it was the best and most perfect wedding ever!! We had 39 people make the journey with us and we did not spend more than $7000 on our whole wedding and our trip (flight and hotel included).  Palace resorts has awesome perks if you book enough room nights through your room block.  I did not pay a dime for my reception- it was ALL free!! 

 

You need to contact a travel agent that specializes in destination weddings to help you narrow down your choices and go from there.  I would recommend working with a travel agent vs booking directly through the resort!

 

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions!

 

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response! Very helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by La-am View Post

 

RIGHT?! Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda says 780pp on their website. Maybe they are quoting the cost of  room stay as well, but when you book your all inclusive package it already includes rooms. I am so confused...and lost. 

I'm not sure where you saw this figure of $780pp, but I'm thikning that is maybe rooms for the week or something. When I went to the Weddings page on their site it has packages listed. I went under the Caribbean Dream pkg (which looks like it their most expensive one at $1800) and the price per person over 20 guests is $18. Here's the link for you:

 

http://bluebayresorts.com/index.php?accion=bodas&subAccion=getInfo&packId=22&idHot=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wait... I think I see what your talking about! Is is the VIP private party that your looking at?? Cause it is listed in Pesos, so its actually about $78/pp cheesy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by lgerry View Post

 

Oh wait... I think I see what your talking about! Is is the VIP private party that your looking at?? Cause it is listed in Pesos, so its actually about $78/pp cheesy.gif

Oh my goodness! LOL I'm so embarassed! I didn't even think to check what mxn meant, I just went straight into panic mode! Thank you so much for looking into that and helping! Thank you thank you thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by lgerry View Post

 

I'm not sure where you saw this figure of $780pp, but I'm thikning that is maybe rooms for the week or something. When I went to the Weddings page on their site it has packages listed. I went under the Caribbean Dream pkg (which looks like it their most expensive one at $1800) and the price per person over 20 guests is $18. Here's the link for you:

 

http://bluebayresorts.com/index.php?accion=bodas&subAccion=getInfo&packId=22&idHot=1

Thank you for your help! I had a dumb dumb moment and someone pointed out its listed in pesos on the website DUH! So it actually converts to about 62pp for the private party. Thanks for looking into that for me and sending the link! I really really appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Hi! Thanks for sharing this story. Happy married life! If you once will need a website, here are the tips to choose a proper style and purpose. What is the purpose of a website?  Everyone finds a good reason to create a website! But in general, we can say that the websites are being created to offer a useful service that others will use. It can even be free, although if this is something really cool, you can always make money on it!
    • Hello All.. I am new to this forum and I am here to learn and share wedding clothing, jewellery tips. Hope my journey will be great here!!
    • Hi! I'm from the US (but I've been to the UK 6x- my finance says i'm not allowed to move there! lol) Many resort lines don't offer something like the dress rehearsal, which I think is crazy! It's such a smart idea!  Having been to Mexico so much, I find it so much more comfortable- Yes there are dangers but I don't find it any worse than Philly or NY. It is a country that gets SO MUCH money from the service industry- it literally benefits no one to mess with tourists. Your tip money at the bar is feeding someones family. Not that the DR is any different in that it relies on tourist $, but the vibe is just totally different.  In the DR, they were really very serious about us not leaving the resorts (we did- I don't believe in staying on resorts lol). Once off, we realized why. Now, full disclosure, we went right after the 2010 earthquake, so this was a) some time ago and b) right after a natural disaster. Once we left we just felt immediately uncomfortable. (We even saw a man approaching a goat with  a large gun and the Taxi driver seemed nervous and sped away- poor goat!) I find in Mexico everyone is SO respectful- in the DR I had guys make lewd comments (both from those off the resort, and more disturbingly from workers at the resort), grabbing at me, just generally super disrespectful and not at all comforting. My dad had to kick the room service guy out of our room bc he refused to leave when we asked!  This could have been completely isolated to the staff at our specific resort, but it definitely happened off resort as well. A la Anthony Bourdain, I have always considered myself a traveller, not a tourist, so I have zero interest in staying on a resort the entire time (really I'm not in love with resorts period lol), so for me, if I can't go off resort safely, what business do I have being there at all? Also they  made be throw out my coffee before I got on the plane- the coffee I got at the food court at the gate. I'm holding that grudge LOL. A long story short- it's not on my list of returns. I can honestly say that I'm not sure I would accept an invitation to a wedding in the DR- I think I'd rather save that money and go to Mexico! (or the UK, or Iceland, or just Europe in general lol)  I don't regret going, but I'd sooner go to Mexico if I'm looking for a beach!  That's just me- millions of people go there and have a great time! I guess it really comes down to what type of traveller you are (are you okay with being on a resort and just leaving for excursions)!
    • Hello, thank you so much for this it’s all very helpful.. are you from the UK OR US? ive never been and I probably won’t visit the destination until I get married! Oh my gosh I have looked at your resort it is beautiful!! my family have been to the Dominican.. can I ask why you didn’t find it as safe?   Thanks again 
    • Hi! Well, I stumbled on this forum, and then when I realized it was run by a travel agency (while being really impartial- the fact that there are reviews for OTHER agencies was a good sign!) I didn't look any further! Their website, where you can fill out a contact form:  https://www.wrighttravelagency.com/ Babs actually sent me an email on a Sunday (she had been out of the office on Friday) so that's how we started- I was so impressed right off the bat! You may not get Babs, but I can only imagine that the entire office is amazing! We're getting married at Azul Riveria Cancun (formerly Sensatori). We chose it because we have kids coming. We actually just went down for the Brides Dress Rehearsal (A really cool program Karisma Resorts do, where they give you a special price/couple to go down and check out some resorts, meet wedding planners and vendors etcetc- it's great having never been there to leave knowing and seeing it all- http://www.memorablemomentsweddings.com/Memorable-Moments-Weddings-Dress_Rehearsal.cfm) I'm pretty laid back- it's Mexico. Where ever you are, how ever it's decorated, whatever the weather is- it's going to be gorgeous. I wanted a destination wedding so that I could not worry about things! It will be what it will be- and regardless of what it is, MEXICO! lol I did just see a post about travel guidelines for the DR (Below). Just something to consider, it seems really restrictive! Have you been to the DR? I'm struggling at the moment with people who are afraid to travel to Mexico, which I've always found funny because I've been 6 times and I'm still alive! AND only 3 of those times were on resorts! I felt the least safe of all my travels in the DR, so it's just something that I like to mention!
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...