get a feel for the amount of people that are actually going to Vegas with us?  Is it ok to send out an informal email to let everyone know what we are doing and see what kind of response I get?!? We are having a party the following week back home for those that can't go, but it's difficult to plan a wedding not knowing how many people 'might' go along?  Suggestions?

That's totally fine.  A lot of brides send out save the dates "STDs" and ask for a preliminary rsvp.  Of course everyone who sends you a "yes" may not end up going, but it helps to weed out the "no" people from the start. 

Im having my resort in jamaica at a small resort.. I  didnt send out STD i just talked to everyone in person or through email about what we were thinking of doing to find out who would be coming (or who would be bringing kids) I did this just with people that were important.. bridal party and immediate family, then just gave a heads up for everyone else. Now that we picked our exact date all those people we initially talked to are already booked.. we will still send out invites to make it more formal and to give those who just got a heads up a little more info to book