Brand new to this and need tons of help!

OK, we've made one decision and that's to do a destination wedding. Haha! I'm considering Paradisus Playa del Carmen..a new hotel (opened Nov 2011). So what is my next step? I have to confirm a wedding date with the hotel? I'm thinking early November of this year. Is that too soon for people to plan accordingly? Also, I read hurricane season is until end of November. How concerned should I be? Should I do early December?

Once I select the date do I have to book the hotel or just confirm with them that the date is open? Or do I have to officially sign a contract before I send out save the dates?

Do I need to negotiate a rate with the hotel for my guests and include that in the information on the save the date?

I noticed a lot of people talking about Travel Agents...I tend to find better deals online using Expedia, etc. I want to be helpful to potential guests but I don't want to feel like they have to use a travel agent.

I am assuming a lot of the people we invite will not go because of the cost, which is fine. However, my concern is that people may tell us that they are going to go (thinking they can save) but when it comes closer to the time, they can't make it. How do I really know how many people to plan for. Unfortunately I know a lot of people that will want to go and say they are going but I can see them backing out at the last minute. How to handle that?

Also, I feel a little guilty for picking a place that is going to be expensive. I know the guests don't have to stay at that resort (although I'll have to pay for a guest pass for the wedding day, which is fine). I heard someone post about being able to make payments toward the vacation package. That may make the guests we invite feel like it is a doable option. How does that work though? Is that where the travel agent comes in? Or can you literally go online and put down a deposit for the room and slowly make payments?

Sorry, so many questions and I'll have tons more. We are so unorganized and it's like pulling teeth to get my fiance to agree with a location and guest list. He just started his own business and is super busy. Ugh! Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Hi jules!  I'll try my best to answer below...

Originally Posted by jules2012 View Post

OK, we've made one decision and that's to do a destination wedding. Haha! I'm considering Paradisus Playa del Carmen..a new hotel (opened Nov 2011). So what is my next step? I have to confirm a wedding date with the hotel? I'm thinking early November of this year. Is that too soon for people to plan accordingly? Also, I read hurricane season is until end of November. How concerned should I be? Should I do early December?

It is a little soon but not crazy if you get the word out there asap.  Personally I would not set a date within hurricane season but I know people have done so without problems.

Once I select the date do I have to book the hotel or just confirm with them that the date is open? Or do I have to officially sign a contract before I send out save the dates?

Don't send out save the dates until you have set the date with your hotel.  You don't want someone ready to book to come in and steal your date when your guests have started making plans.

Do I need to negotiate a rate with the hotel for my guests and include that in the information on the save the date?

I noticed a lot of people talking about Travel Agents...I tend to find better deals online using Expedia, etc. I want to be helpful to potential guests but I don't want to feel like they have to use a travel agent.

You don't need to go into that much detail with your save the dates if you don't have it ready, but I would follow up with a communication regarding rates/travel info.  I didn't use a travel agent but my wedding was not at a hotel so I went about it differently.  If you have one your guests won't all use your travel agent but there is no harm in presenting the info and some may find it helpful.

I am assuming a lot of the people we invite will not go because of the cost, which is fine. However, my concern is that people may tell us that they are going to go (thinking they can save) but when it comes closer to the time, they can't make it. How do I really know how many people to plan for. Unfortunately I know a lot of people that will want to go and say they are going but I can see them backing out at the last minute. How to handle that?

This happened to me.  My advice is to expect it that way you aren't disappointed.  It stinks but that is the way it goes with this stuff. 

Also, I feel a little guilty for picking a place that is going to be expensive. I know the guests don't have to stay at that resort (although I'll have to pay for a guest pass for the wedding day, which is fine). I heard someone post about being able to make payments toward the vacation package. That may make the guests we invite feel like it is a doable option. How does that work though? Is that where the travel agent comes in? Or can you literally go online and put down a deposit for the room and slowly make payments?

Definitely contact a travel agent for this.  You might want to try one of the BDW Travel Agents. They Specialize in Destination weddings.  You can contact them HERE!

Sorry, so many questions and I'll have tons more. We are so unorganized and it's like pulling teeth to get my fiance to agree with a location and guest list. He just started his own business and is super busy. Ugh! Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

You'll figure it all out, just decide what it is that you two really want and make it happen.  You aren't going to please everyone and that is okay.  This site is a great resource so utilize it.  Happy planning!

I have included my answers below!

Originally Posted by jules2012 View Post

I think the first thing you should do is contact the resort and request information from them regarding wedding packages ect.  Lots of brides get married in November with no problems.  I think later in November is safer then earlier.

Confirm a date with your hotel first.  Each resort has different policies about contacts and such, ask them about what they do to secure the date.  Then send out your save that dates after you have a date secured.  Or, we didn't know the exact wedding date due to flight schedules not being available a year ago when we sent out our STDs, so we just put a month (ex, January 2012).  That way it still gave them enough notice but no specifics.

You can chose to use a travel agent if you wish.  I did use a travel agent and found it extremely helpful.  She dealt with all the travel issues which allowed me to focus strictly on the wedding.  If you are going to use a travel agent you may qualify for a group booking, which often is lower rates.  Also, make sure you shop around different travel agents and travel companies to find the best deal.  We just included the travel agent information for everyone and they chose whether or not to use her.

Thats one of the negatives with destination weddings.  Lots of people wont come because of the cost so expect that.

Best to go with a travel agent for this.