Issues with Sunquest??

Well, I must admit - when I first read this thread - I was sure it WOULDN'T happen to me... Hell - it did!!! Our cut off date was Jan. 31. So on the 26th we went to book my brother's girlfriend and they are unable to give us the addition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, we only have our family booked, and the only good thing is that there is a flight day after - but - really - How many seats do you have booked on the plane? You ladies said that they may want to put a surcharge of $80-400.  They are better not ask this of us.  It's so flipping annoying. We're not getting married till Sept. 2011. My FI says not to stress, but it just pisses the living hell out of me!

To answer the Qstion about TICO, they can't do anything about this.  It's only when Sunquest mishandles your money.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid to use Sunquest because I found that the actually flight isn't all that.  I went to a destination wedding last April in Mayan Rivera, and the plane was a mess and the flight attendants were just okay.  Later on during the year, I used West Jet to go to DR, and there was such a difference.  I'm hoping to use WJ for JA, but I haven' started planing yet due to our big move.  My fingers are crossed as well.

I'm using Air Canada Vacations. They have an early booking bonus now if you pay in full by March 1st, you get $250 off. At least I know Air Canada will use Air Canada planes!

The only thing is that I mailed our STD's last Friday. I don't know where they are. No one has recieved anything!! Worst part about it is they were mailed downtown Toronto at the post office. How does the largest post office lose my STD's ?! But anyways, we threw together an email last night and sent out our booking info...hopefully sometime next week people will recieve it!

• 2 weeks later...

Transat kind of did the same thing to me. We had our rates/seats guaranteed until the end of august or something like that and about 1/2 of our group had put down there deposits and then with less then a week or two before our cutoff they called mea nd said the lfight is filling up fast, either get the rest of your people to pay their deposits or else risk them not getting on your flight. I was so furious because I had to put a $2000 deposit down out of my own pocket to hold the seats for the rest of my guests which was non-refundable if they ended up cancelling so I was taking a huge risk. Luckily all booked plus a few more so I got my money back but still I totally understand how frustrating it is because they shoulnd't be able to get away with it but they do...and constantly it seems. Everyone had an awsome time at our wedding and about half of us are trying to plan something again for next year but we all agreed...no more group bookings!! It might save a few hundred bucks but we're not sure if we want another chance of a run around like that.

When we put down our deposits for 10 people (minimum needed for a group with Sunquest) - it was made really clear to me that spots were NOT guaranteed beyond the 10, just the price IF seats were available.  Therefore, we encouraged guests to book early.  Perhaps your TA didn't make that clear?  You can only guarantee the availability of seats you put a deposit on.

We also took a big risk in putting down the $2000 deposit for the 10 spots - it was actually a big source of stress.  Fortunately, at the last minute we got exactly 10 people - super lucky.  In retrospect, I never would have gone with a group booking - too restrictive, and all the financial risk fell on us.  I probably would have just found a good TA to be a contact for guests who would be willing to help with finding good rates available.

I meant to write an update the other day.

1st - to answer blondy: Oh.. it was clear, but you wouldn't think that within 3 days there is NO seats available for low season travel

2nd - to answer Marelan: only Sunquest offers our resort

Now - as I suspected, our flights got changed.  Sunquest no longer offers our original dates, so we are departing 2 days earlier.  This is why there was no seats available when we tried to put money down because Sunquest pulled their flights on our original dates. 

I hardly every cry or let thing out of my control get to me... well, I cried.. Not because we are departing earlier, or that we have to leave on Saturday (our wedding is on Thursday)... but because I'm going to look like a lobster in a white box LOL .. but I came to terms when my FI said that we are going in Sept. and I will already have a tan... it's not winter when I go pale as a snowman. 

I just only hope they will not change the dates any more as I cannot change my date with the hotel. 

And I thought SunWing was bad because they screwed up our guests transfers, flight meals and room categories/beds, but at least we were lucky enough not to have flight problems.  I do think that all of these vacation package companies are shady and have very poor customer service. It is pretty sad that most of the people they screw over are couples trying to plan weddings. If I did it again I would book my flights, rooms and transfers separate so my guests wouldn't have had to deal with cranky flight attendants, constant pestering by the Sunwing rep at the hotel and unreliable ground transfers!  The one guest we had from overseas booked his room and ground transfers directly through our resort and had awesome service.

Originally Posted by bmadzia1 View Post

1st - to answer blondy: Oh.. it was clear, but you wouldn't think that within 3 days there is NO seats available for low season travel

Now - as I suspected, our flights got changed.  Sunquest no longer offers our original dates, so we are departing 2 days earlier.  This is why there was no seats available when we tried to put money down because Sunquest pulled their flights on our original dates. 

I hardly every cry or let thing out of my control get to me... well, I cried.. Not because we are departing earlier, or that we have to leave on Saturday (our wedding is on Thursday)... but because I'm going to look like a lobster in a white box LOL .. but I came to terms when my FI said that we are going in Sept. and I will already have a tan... it's not winter when I go pale as a snowman. 

I just only hope they will not change the dates any more as I cannot change my date with the hotel. 

Yep, that's pretty bad.

If it makes you feel any better, my wedding is in April.  I have pale skin at the best of times, but in the middle of winter - well, I am pasty beyond belief.  I will be in Mexico for 6 days before the wedding - I am planning on slathering up with sunblock at every opportunity and hoping for the best!

That really sucks! 

Originally Posted by bmadzia1 View Post