Sign in to follow this  
Melissa&Todd

how much did you pay for..

Hi Girls, I am just wondering what you all paid to get all your documents notarized? we got a quote of $30 per document... so 6 documents $180 just wondering if that's around what everyone else paid.

any input would be appreciate as Im going tomorrow to get them done.

I will get married here in canada, only having a symbolic ceremony down in Jamaica, less trouble and less money ,, sorry i am not a lot of help on this one , good luck !

We had to get copies of our passports and birth certificates signed. I dont think the solicitor charged us, i am sure we just gave him a bottle of his favourite liquor (it was my fiances sisters work colleague).

It's probably different in Canada than it is in the States (I live in NY) but I didn't pay anything to have copies of our birth certificates notarized.  I just went to my bank and they did it for free. 

Originally Posted by Mrs. LowUFO View Post

I haven't actually gotten that far but I was wondering where do you have to go for this sort of thing? I wasn't even sure who was acceptable to sign these documents.

There are notary services, I think Red Seal is one here in Ontario, no idea how much they charge.  If you know anyone at a law firm, most lawyers are also notaries so if you know one, they likely will do it for you for free. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs*j*2011 View Post

It's probably different in Canada than it is in the States (I live in NY) but I didn't pay anything to have copies of our birth certificates notarized.  I just went to my bank and they did it for free. 

That is different.  Here to get something notarized, it must be done by a notary public and you definitely couldn't get that done at the bank unless they had a notary there but they would definitely charge you for it.

I ended up asking my mom to call her lawyer, they did the 4 documents needed to be done for a $20 donation to a charity of our choice!!!     I asked the banks here in Ontario, but they don't have notaries anymore in the branches.

I went to the lawyer who did our paperwork for our mortgage.  He didn't charge us at all. But we did get lots of free trip advice!  he was recently in Jamaica for his sister's wedding.

I looked around before calling our mortgage lawyer and the average was $50 for up to 6 documents per person.  (if you have over 6 then it was an additional $20 per person)

Glad you guys all seemed to work it out.  And glad to hear that non of the lawyers charged you.  Personally I have never charged anyone to notarize something.  Why bother, it takes like 2 minutes of my time.  Glad to see others don't charge either.