Dresses, schmesses.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tvt

tvt
  • VIP Member
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

I just realized there was a blog button! My god where have I been! Anyway figured I'd give it a shot and get all this dress crap off my chest.

I HATE wedding dresses! I procrastinated shopping for wedding dresses for a long time because I really wanted to loose some much needed weight before I started. I didn't want to ruin the whole experience by looking at myself in the mirror and thinking "my god, lose some weight girl!"

So in December I finally decided I would go. My mom had been pressuring me to go shopping soon, and I figured I might as well get it out of the way. I figured that it would be really easy process for me. I've never had a problem with shopping for dresses in the past.... or making decisions.

Fast forward present time. I cannot decide on a dress to save my life. I have been dress shopping for 3 months, going on 4. I have been to 6 different bridal salons, most of them more than once.

I think my problem begins with the fact that I like very simple things. Most wedding dresses have a lot of detail and bling, and that is just not me. I like detail, but in a subtle way. And I find that most wedding dresses are too flashy for my style. So that is part of my problem. The other part, is not that I can't find dresses I like - I have found numerous dresses - it's that I can't find a dress that I like 100%.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, and just want that "feeling" that brides describe when they first tried on the dress they knew would be theirs. The first thing I do when I try it on, is examine myself in the mirror. You could say I have a critial eye or am picky. Either way, I just really wish one dress would bring me to tears and I wouldn't ever want to take it off.

In total, I've been wedding dress shopping for.... 11ish hours. And what have I got to show for it? Crapola.

Oh! My other problem is that I will be in love with a dress for a few days after I try it on. But then I will be OCD on the dress for a few days - ie "should I buy it?! I want it, but is it the one?" - and somewhere along the line, I think myself out of love with the dress. How does that happen?

As my wedding date aproaches, and every bridal salon tells me I should order soon, I am feeling very pressured and very much like a dressless bride.

#2 Heidi

Heidi
    • 2,642 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:22 AM

Tara, I found the same thing when I was dress shopping. I definitely was drawn to the simple dresses. And it was HARD to find them!! The best place I found was David's Bridal, because they had like 4 simple ones where other places had 1 if I was lucky!

I went shopping a few times (not as many as you!), but I always found myself comparing dresses to one I tried on during my first visit. I didn't get the 'this is the one' feeling either, but hey, if I was comparing everything else to it - that was good enough for me!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
      Married April 4, 2008 at the Riu Ocho Rios!

#3 Virg

Virg
      • 684 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

I completly agree! I have found my salvation tho! ONLINE SHOPPING!! It is great, have you tried House of Brides? Or even Jcrew?? Nordstrom? shopbop?
        Many options of pretty, elegant, yet simple :)

Best of luck!
        Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
        Made it legal : June 30, 2009

http://i37.photobuck....h_IMG_8136.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users