Sign in to follow this  
Jenn

Shipping things to Jamaica...

Anyone shipping down supplies and OOT bag stuff? I've heard horror stories about stuff getting lost in customs, but we have so much to bring down, I thought it might be an option. Has anyone done this or thinking of doing this?

Luckily my FI has family members in Jamaica so we are going to ship them there and they are going to drop the stuff at the resort when we arrive. They now have FedEx there which is good because the only other way to send it would have been in a barrel and then they would have to go to the airport and pick it up. So its great we can ship right to there house.

I heard horror stories as well, so wasn't planning to ship to Jamaica. You're so lucky that you have family there to ship to RiuBride2b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiuBride2b View Post
Luckily my FI has family members in Jamaica so we are going to ship them there and they are going to drop the stuff at the resort when we arrive. They now have FedEx there which is good because the only other way to send it would have been in a barrel and then they would have to go to the airport and pick it up. So its great we can ship right to there house.
Have you shipped stuff before? Have you had any problems with customs and such? I think my WC or resort (which is small) wouldn't mind if we shipped stuff, but I'm worried about it actually getting there...

Any chance you could just ask your bridal party to pack some of the stuff in their luggage? Then you wouldnt have to pay the extra money to ship it or worry about it getting lost.

Ok, scratch that idea... I just checked shipping rates to Jamaica, and 10lbs was about $160. It would be cheaper to pay the airline overweight fees if we have too much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaydensMama View Post
Any chance you could just ask your bridal party to pack some of the stuff in their luggage? Then you wouldnt have to pay the extra money to ship it or worry about it getting lost.
We're not having a bridal party, but were planning on having our parents bring stuff down. We were just looking to see if there was an easier way than distributing stuff, since my mom doesn't live near us, and she's the only one coming down before the guests arrive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopels View Post
Ok, scratch that idea... I just checked shipping rates to Jamaica, and 10lbs was about $160. It would be cheaper to pay the airline overweight fees if we have too much...
It may sound like a lot but it really isn't. We are expecting alot of guests and we will have alot of gifts to give out. We also have a pretty big bridal party and I want to keep everything a surprise.

I believe if you go through customs and they see if you have 2 much of the same thing they charge a fee because they think you are bringing it there with the intent to sell. I have heard this story but don't quote me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiuBride2b View Post
It may sound like a lot but it really isn't. We are expecting alot of guests and we will have alot of gifts to give out. We also have a pretty big bridal party and I want to keep everything a surprise.

I believe if you go through customs and they see if you have 2 much of the same thing they charge a fee because they think you are bringing it there with the intent to sell. I have heard this story but don't quote me!!!
I think I saw that as well. We only have 20 guests, and I had read somewhere that if you bring a detailed list of your guests, what flights they are on, etc, if you get stopped by customs, they will let you through. We figure we can divide some stuff up, so that it won't all be in the same bags.

Has anyone actually had trouble with customs?