Excellence Playa Mujeres or Le Blanc... help!!

HoustonBride10/31/10

I was so torn and with my wedding less than 5 short months away, my fiancee just called on his own today and booked us at the Excellence!!!! I can't believe he would be so brazen, but honestly, I am so relieved... I kept waffling back and forth and couldn't decide... I've been losing sleep over this, going over the pros and cons at both locations!

What I love about Le Blanc is how modern the decor is - very stark, all white, clean, elegant, however, the rooms don't seem nearly as fabulous as those at the Excellence Playa Mujeres. Le Blanc only has a limited number of rooms with balconies and my wedding/honeymoon dream is centered around eating breakfast on my balcony staring at the ocean... I couldn't be guaranteed a balcony, or at least one you can walk out on (they have Juliet balconies on some of the rooms). The Excellence is a much smaller resort and much newer which I also liked -- I've read a few reviews on Trip Adviser that the Le Blanc needed some updating and repairs due to age. The Excellence is also away from the Cancun strip which feels more private and less "spring break" to me. At the Excellence I am also guaranteed not just a huge balcony and amazing ocean view, but a two-story room with a rooftop pool, shower and couch. This is my honeymoon - the room needs to be good!

Regarding the wedding packages - they are pretty much apples to apples if you break them down (I was going to do the Zen Garden wedding at Le Blanc, and the Gold Excellence wedding package at the EPM -- there is less than a $200 difference with the current promotions.) Le Blanc offers a take-home bathrobe and a separate dressing area for the bride, but the Excellence has two different locations for the reception and the dinner -- at Le Blanc the reception and the dinner are in the same place. I really like the idea of having my guests go to two special spots, not just one... that feels more special somehow. However, I know that I'd have been very happy at either, which is why I just couldn't decide!! Le Blanc has more wedding location options, and conducts a ton more weddings, but on a few wedding photos that I've seen (beach location) you can see other people sunbathing not too far away. I don't want anyone but my wedding party around! That said, I'm sure that wedding was just in the height of the travel season, and my wedding is late October. The Excellence package has a couples spa treatment, but at Le Blanc it's just for the bride. The Excellence has music at the reception, Le Blanc during the ceremony. Le Blanc provides a sound system and a special breakfast in bed, EPM does a video of the ceremony and later gives you a couples cruise. SO HARD TO CHOOSE!!

My fiancee got sick of me not being able to decide (I was begging him to just choose -- just never actually expected him to actually do so!) and made a decision because I would have lost my date and time at the rate I was going.

Good luck to all, either location will be beautiful. Ultimately, these are both amazingly reviewed 5 star hotels and I know I would have been happy at either one. For my fiancee, it was the better room that finally made up his mind. So happy it's been decided so I can get down to the details!

Congrats I love Excellence Playa Mujeres!!! I was there last October and I can't wait to go back. I loved everything about my stay from sitting around in the lazy pool. Trying each of the different restaurants (we loved the mexican one and there is one upstairs that is japanese we also liked). Everytime I look back at our pics there I always smile and say I can't wait to return. The beds are huge and comfy, each room has an ensuite hot tub!!! Ahhhh just thinking about it I miss it. You simply can't go wrong with that resort. Good luck and happy planning!!!